View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rweighell View Post
I've had Rusty for 2 weeks now and he's just had his second feed.

After the first (waited 7 days for him to settle in) he stayed pretty calm and relatively still for a few days.

However he has been very active after his second (6 days later), so I wondered if I'm leaving it too long in between? Or if he's just comfortable?

He was about a year old when I got him, and he's about 12 inches long but I can't weigh him as my scales don't go that low!

Thank you
After a dozen twinkies, Oprah is still hungry too, but that doesn't mean she should eat another one. (LOL)

A year old and only 16 inches long???

Without weight, it's hard to say for sure, but I personally imagine a 16 inch corn snake weighing about 20 to 30 grams. That seems abnormally small for a year old to me, but I'll take your word for it.

If the snake is about 25 grams or more, you might be able to feed 2 pinkies of average size. Or a big one every 5 days.

The Munson Feeding Plan is loosely based on feeding babies about 13% of their body weight in food. (That's why weighing is important). So for example, if your snake did weigh 20 grams, you'd feed a meal weighing about 2.6 grams. This could be 1 pinky weighing that much or 2 that also total that much. Do not "Over feed."