View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #10
jaric
Like everyone here, sorry to hear about the loss.

While I am still a noob regarding these animals, I definitly have some experiance with keeping a variety of animals and let me offer this advice.

Spend at least a few weeks doing research on not only how to care for the animal in question, but also getting a "care plan," worked out so that you will have as few suprises as possible. It will save you money, and more importantly, heartache in the long run.

This site here seems to be a great resource for info, but don't be afraid to spend 20$ and buy a few books on the subject. The corn snake owners guide (the book that the poster above me linked you) seems to be the one that everyone recommends here.

Also, never listen to the pet store. Most pets stores do not have the capital to properly train their employees, and the turnover rate in those store is so high, that if you do get someone trained properly they usually leave in 6 months.

I have over heard so much bad advice regarding fish set ups (yes you can keep a pacu [a fish that is so big it can usually only be kept in zoo's] in a 10 gallon aquarium) that I do not trust one word they tell me.