View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Jrgh17
After posting, I was reading through her pages, and I found a few things that just didn't sit right with me:

From http://www.anapsid.org/ball.html
Quote:
Once the animal is established, you can use more decorative ground cover such as commercially prepared shredded cypress or fir bark. Pine and aspen shavings should not be used as they can become lodged in the mouth while eating, causing respiratory and other problems.
Fir and cypress are okay, but aspen isn't?!?!

Quote:
If one or both spectacles have been retained, bathe the snake again in warmish water for about ten minutes. Before returning it to the enclosure, place a dab of mineral oil on that eye with a cotton-tipped swab. The spectacle should come off within twenty-four hours. If it does not come off, wrap your four fingers with transparent tape, sticky side out. Gently rock your fingers from left to right (or, from nose to neck) across the eye; the spectacle should come off. If this does not removed the spectacle, then seek veterinary assistance.
I feel it's just plain irresponsible to tell someone new to snakes to use tape on their snake's eye. Tape could cause more damage than waiting for the eyecap to come off in the next shed.

From http://www.anapsid.org/corn.html
Quote:
To easily monitor temperature, inexpensive aquarium self-stick thermometers can be purchased and applied about an inch above the bottom of the tank on the warm side.
Quote:
Remove the prey item from the freezer and allow to defrost at room temperature. When defrosted, use forceps or tongs to pick up the rodent by the tail, and hold the prey in front of the snake for the snake to strike at.
Also, on both of the pages I read, she recommended bathing the snake to force it to shed 24 hours after they eyes clear. To me, this just seems unnecessarily stressful to the animal (which is odd, considering she supports PETA in that having animals for pets is bad for them). To be completely honest, I found her website inconsistent and packed with questionable information.