• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Metal in a mouse...My Poor Festivus

Just read what happened!!! Poor fella!! How is he today?? I still can't believe it, he's just so lucky you got home when you did and got him to the vets.... keep us all posted on his recovery!!

Thank you all for the well wishes. He looks alot better this morning. The swelling is down and he's not holding his head up and at an angle like he was. I think that means he's more comfortable. He also fought alot harder at meds time this morning. The vet said he can eat a pink in 2-3 days, but I want to wait til after his appt on Friday. I hope this doesn't turn him off of food.

I don't know how I missed seeing it, it was big. It must have been stuck into the mouses body. I reached into the hopper bag, counted out what I needed, and tossed them in the plastic bowl to thaw. Nothing stuck my hand...maybe the sharp edges stuck into another mouse too ...I don't know. Then I thawed them, and you would think the hardware cloth would have fallen off....it must have been stuck IN the mouse. I didn't see it, but then who looks for that??

I hope I didn't sound like a drama queen yesterday. I didn't take a pic of it because at the time the focus was getting him to the vet as fast as possible. Plus, I think I was in shock. It was REALLY bad, like nothing you would expect. I will try to get a pic of him sometime today. The wire itself had to be cut into pieces for removal by the vet and are in a plastic bag on my desk at work. I want to show it to my supplier next time he comes in.

I'm glad to hear that he's doing better today. thanks for the update, he and you are still in my thoughts and i'll hope for a quick recovery.

I've been busy, so I haven't read many threads here lately. Deb told me about Festivus' situation when I talked to her last night.

That's one of the strangest things I've ever heard about, Beth. I'm glad he's doing better this morning. I hope he makes a full recovery-- I know how much he means to you. But if there's anyone who can nurse him back to 100%, it's you...

Most likely it happened to the mouse AFTER it was gassed.. I can't imagine that they wouldn't notice something wrong with the mouse if it was jabbed with a big piece of hardware cloth while living.. You probably didn't see it cause it was under the fur or something. That's still pretty darn crazy. If they are using some piece of caging that's falling apart (even if it is just the kill/gas cage) they need to be told to replace it..

Does your friend know which breeder he got it from yet? (mouse breeder..)

Glad to hear he's looking better! For all the scariness this is probably a pretty small thing for the snake (once it's out anyway!!)

Last edited:
Hello Beth...
Im sending my best wishes for your Festivus. I hope he heals and all is OK. It certainly sounds as though he has a wonderful snake mom. It does seem like a freak accident, and Im glad you reported it to your suppliers.
Sincerely,
Susan

I hope I didn't sound like a drama queen yesterday.

Are you joking? At least you were coherant enough to tell us about it!

I am so happy to hear he is doing well.

I got this call once, and it was my daughter, and she was out of her mind hysterical, crying so hard it sounded like she was going to die, or someone already had. I got fragments of what she was trying to tell me, which was "they think they are going to have to amputate his leg!!!!!" and more hysterical sobbing. I was scared out of my mind- did she mean my grandson? Her husband? What sort of horrible accident had they been involved in??? Luckily, it was her bird, Precious Roy, but to her, I think he was the dearest of the three! It was a relief for me to hear it was not human. And I wouldn't have called her a drama queen...

I think I'd avoid the pink, too. If it's true what Sean Niland (VMS) says, they can associate feeding with stressful events in their lives, and go off feeding, then it sure wouldn't hurt to let his life calm down first. He's not a bitty hatchling with no spare reserves. Although it's comforting to us moms to get a good meal in our babies' stomachs.

All right- I'll be anxiously awaiting the next update! Give him a little kiss for me!

I managed to get a few shots of him, in his cage. They aren't very good. Since the swelling has gone down and he looks so much better than yesterday, it doesn't look like much. But you should be able to see 1 of the 3 incisions, anyway.

Attachments

• poorfest1.jpg
    poorfest1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 227
  • poorfest2.jpg
    poorfest2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 227
  • poorfest3.jpg
    poorfest3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 227
Poor baby! It looks swollen to me; I can't imagine how bad it was previously! He looks good, Beth. Not much left of his grey head! What a beauty. I feel a lot better, having seen him.

What a crazy thing to have happen! Good thing he belonged to someone who could deal with his situation and care for him afterward.
It's nice to know, and see evidence, that a snake can be repaired. I was present at the cleaning and stitching of a an abcess on the "chin" of a large python. I was very impressed with the vet's ability to work on a thrashing snake.

Ack! I saw theis thread yesterday and it just sounded so awful I did not know how to respond.
How the heck did the mouse have wire in it? I am having horrible thoughts that maybe it was kept in conditions where the wire became embedded in it like an embedded collar on a neglected pet. How awful, I'm kinda feeling sorry for that mouse if that's what happened almost as much as for the snake.
I'm glad from looking at the pictures that, though it looks swollen, Festivus has pulled through the operation and I am praying he will be OK.

Back