• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anyone have any good homemade mouse food recipes?

Pygora

I was wondering if there is a good homemade mouse food recipe I can give my feeders? I've been buying the mouse diet but its getting way expensive the way they eat and the little seedy stuff they never eat. I also supplement with dog food. Preferably a dry mix of stuff I can get locally. How do I go about creating a well balanced variety food mix?

If you've got a farm feed store near you, 'sow rolls' for pigs are a really good feed. I found a $7 bag lasted about 6 months for my (small scale) mouse breeding set up.

Sow rolls?

If you've got a farm feed store near you, 'sow rolls' for pigs are a really good feed. I found a $7 bag lasted about 6 months for my (small scale) mouse breeding set up.

What does it consist of and can it be bought in the US? I'm in San Diego so I'm not too sure if I will find it.

It's pig feed for adult pigs, not fast-growing bacon piglets. It's in pellet form and compares really well to the nutritional profile of Muzuri etc, which I couldn't get without paying out much more. I got the tip of using them from a rat breeder.

We use a mix of pelleted pig food ($10-20) as mentioned above, bird seed and dog food ($5-7). We used to use Mazuri Rodent Diet but it got rather expensive so we had to switch. The pelleted pig food can be found at most local farm supply stores or Tractor Supply stores. The pelleted pig food varies in price according to protein content like dog food does and will also vary according to size (#pounds) purchased. We do not use anything that contains artificial dyes for our rodents.

3 eggs, separate away 2 of the whites. Reserve those whites for later.
Bag of 100 pinkies. ! day or younger. Frozen and then thawed is best, but fresh is even better.
2 Cups of the good blue n gold label Gold Medal Flour.
3 TBSP Butter.
2 (possibly up to 3) Tsp Coarse Kosher Salt.
Good heavy shakes from the spice cabinet:
Greek Oregano,
Fresh (or processed) garlic (not dried flakes)
Fine Cut 1 Large Yellow (not Vidalia) onion.
1/2 cup Broccoli Florettes, fine chopped, fresh or frozen, remove stem chunks if budget shopping for turkey soup cruciferousness later)
Olive Oil
some of that Smokey Bacon you like and usually have on hand anyways
Additional herbs n stuff
Brandy.

Methode:
Chop up some bacon and toss in big skillet with Olive Oil and Onion and Garlic, start off High to blast of heat but then slow simmer awhile. Add other herbs in progression til you feel you have a good mixture of wetness for the pallete. Toss in some butter if you like, but be sure to cook low heat so the butter don't burn.

Toss about a couple (2, in case you don't know how many a couple is) cups of the flour in a bowel and add some of the herbs and salt n stuff. Salt only goes with the flour in this resapee. Taste the brandy, Make sure its still good. Taste it again to make sure. Dang this some good brandy.

Dang, I dun forgotten the ckikken broth. Yaste the brandy. Mush the flour butter misture into the pie tin. Yaste the brandy. Beat the eggs. Add some spices and sauteed mixture. Wip it up. Taste the brandye.

Add sum pinkys. forshen thawed is best, theyre pre tenderised. Taste the brandy. Who r u feeding anyways? Tasty brandy. Love the holidaz. Chers & God Bles.

I feed my rats a mix of "winter" bird seed, its got a bit of corn and sunflower seeds in it, 14% sweet feed (its easy for me to swipe a scoop here and there from my horse feed supply) and dog food WITHOUT red dyes... and the occasional boiled egg for a pregnant or nursing female.

3 eggs, separate away 2 of the whites. Reserve those whites for later.
Bag of 100 pinkies. ! day or younger. Frozen and then thawed is best, but fresh is even better.
2 Cups of the good blue n gold label Gold Medal Flour.
3 TBSP Butter.
2 (possibly up to 3) Tsp Coarse Kosher Salt.
Good heavy shakes from the spice cabinet:
Greek Oregano,
Fresh (or processed) garlic (not dried flakes)
Fine Cut 1 Large Yellow (not Vidalia) onion.
1/2 cup Broccoli Florettes, fine chopped, fresh or frozen, remove stem chunks if budget shopping for turkey soup cruciferousness later)
Olive Oil
some of that Smokey Bacon you like and usually have on hand anyways
Additional herbs n stuff
Brandy.

Methode:
Chop up some bacon and toss in big skillet with Olive Oil and Onion and Garlic, start off High to blast of heat but then slow simmer awhile. Add other herbs in progression til you feel you have a good mixture of wetness for the pallete. Toss in some butter if you like, but be sure to cook low heat so the butter don't burn.

Toss about a couple (2, in case you don't know how many a couple is) cups of the flour in a bowel and add some of the herbs and salt n stuff. Salt only goes with the flour in this resapee. Taste the brandy, Make sure its still good. Taste it again to make sure. Dang this some good brandy.

Dang, I dun forgotten the ckikken broth. Yaste the brandy. Mush the flour butter misture into the pie tin. Yaste the brandy. Beat the eggs. Add some spices and sauteed mixture. Wip it up. Taste the brandye.

Add sum pinkys. forshen thawed is best, theyre pre tenderised. Taste the brandy. Who r u feeding anyways? Tasty brandy. Love the holidaz. Chers & God Bles.

NOT quite what I mean but at least I got a LOL out of it. :-D My daughter has 5 cornsnakes (1 big and 4 small) and 2 ball pythons. But I wanted a cheaper mix to feed the mice that we're feeding to the snakes. The colony eats a LOT and those tiny bags of mouse food they offer at the pet store last a week if I'm lucky and that's the biggest size I can find. :-(

I use a mix myself
1 50lb bag of wild bird seeds
1 50lb bag of oats
1 10 lb bag of cat or dog food(no red dye it's bad stuff!)
I also add what ever I have around things like
dry pasta
dry rice
dried crumbled bread
rabbit pellets
dried veggies(including seeds)
ceral(avoid the sugary stuff)

I use to buy hog grower as well and add to the mix but I get hives up my arms when I touch it.

You should be able to get Mazuri rat & mouse food in large quantities from a farm store. Here in the LA area, I was able to get a 50 lb bag of Mazuri 6F for around $30 from a local farm store. Sooo much more affordable than those little 2 lb bags!

I feed my mice cat food, wild bird food mix (They seem to LOVE the song bird stuff) and every now and then i'll give them some of what im eating... Brocolli, Banana peels, orange peels, bread crust and if they are REALLY lucky I'll be in the mood to drop them in some nice dry timothy hay. Kinda shocked, but they seem to use it for bedding, eat it, or sleep in it.

My mice like boiled eggs. The recipe is simple. Buy fertile eggs. Hatch fertile eggs. Wait 4 months. Feed eggs from poultry to mice. Poultry should free roam to ensure the darkest healthiest eggs for your mice. Ideally, this means the yolk should be light orange and not yellow like those store bought eggs. You can mix the boiled eggs in with oatmeal in the blender for an extra special treat. I blend about 1/2 the oatmeal in the blender and use that with equal parts of egg. Mix thoroughly and add more oatmeal at a 1:1 ratio of your mix you already have effectively making your total oatmeal content 2/3 of the mix. My mice really seem to like this.

Yeah right. I go into the farm store here and they give me a dirty look and say they don't have anything to feed mice there! LOL I know what that look/tone says... We don't even want to hear the word mice in our store even though I did see a bag of grain pet food that was buggy right on their shelf. For the largeness of San Diego I am surprised to the fact of things that I can't find! I swear on the East Coast as long as you didn't mind driving you could find ANYTHING! LA isn't really far but I absolutely HATE driving there. (About 6 mo ago we went there a guy rear ended us and totalled our car! :-( But at least we had insurance but he didn't and it was his gf's so I imagine he is probably single now. LOL )

Yeah right. I go into the farm store here and they give me a dirty look and say they don't have anything to feed mice there! LOL I know what that look/tone says... We don't even want to hear the word mice in our store even though I did see a bag of grain pet food that was buggy right on their shelf. For the largeness of San Diego I am surprised to the fact of things that I can't find! I swear on the East Coast as long as you didn't mind driving you could find ANYTHING! LA isn't really far but I absolutely HATE driving there. (About 6 mo ago we went there a guy rear ended us and totalled our car! :-( But at least we had insurance but he didn't and it was his gf's so I imagine he is probably single now. LOL )
If it's a farm store you can buy sow rolls or pencils, pelleted hog feed that is great for rats or mice as a complete food.

I use a mix myself
1 50lb bag of wild bird seeds
1 50lb bag of oats
1 10 lb bag of cat or dog food(no red dye it's bad stuff!)
I also add what ever I have around things like
dry pasta
dry rice
dried crumbled bread
rabbit pellets
dried veggies(including seeds)
ceral(avoid the sugary stuff)

I use to buy hog grower as well and add to the mix but I get hives up my arms when I touch it.

I have to ask a dumb question about the cereal. Why avoid suger? Does it just make them fat or does it do something else? I recently got cornflakes & rice crispies...but they only get a very small amount every so often. I was wondering when I bought it but it seemed like every cereal out there has sugar in it now and they didn't have any puffed stuff but sugar puffs and those are REALLY sugary. I was just looking for variety basically.

Yeah, unfortunately not all farm stores will carry rodent food. You have to call around to find a place that does... I still had to drive a half hour to get Mazuri; the feed store here in town doesn't have it.

If you happen to end up in the area (there IS a reptile expo this weekend, lol!) and decide you want to do Mazuri, the place I got my 6F from is in Norco, just off I-15. Super easy to find.

The feed store? It's America's Country Store, 1004 6th St, Norco, CA. Phone number is (951) 371-4000.

hey sarah, this is an amazing thread. :D iv had a few probs recently. i used to feed 40% oats 40% barley and 20% parakeet mix. but the parakeet mix now has loads of sunflower seeds in it and some mice were getting a bit porky so to speak lol. so i now have them on a hald budgie half parakeet mix that only consists of the tiny round seeds. this seems to be going down much better. they also get mealworms a couple of times a week and small bit mixer is also added into my mix. i am however wanting to completely re-think my mix. i am now useing whole oats ( as they keep the mices teeth down and keep the nutrients in compared to rolled or crushed. ) the only barley i could get was rolled and it was dusty and genrally pants so to speak so i am no longer using that.

Back