View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #29
Cursed_Witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimer View Post
Hope this snake is doing Ok (and the owner too) a stressful situation for the first time. I was wondering if Mt Pleasant Herps had got any advice for this owner yet or indeed assistance? I have had a little experience of sudden eggs in Corn snakes unexpectedly. And also in removing undescended eggs via massaging. the condition of being egg bound in snakes is known as dystopia. The eggs I assisted in removing were all not far from the vent. One from one snake and three from another. I used a little vaseline around the vent to afford a bit of lubrication and just firmly pressed and pushed towards the vent . in the case of the three eggs I started with the nearest one to the cloaca first and it came out with a bit of persuasion. The other two followed and were a little easier to remove. All were hardened slugs. It helped that both snakes were very calm and used to being handled. The event of unexpected eggs that are sometimes fertile without the intervention of a male and then later on hatch out is known as Parthenogenesis. This has happened twice in our collection both times with a successful outcome-In one instance I was caring for a very small Snow corn female who had always been a poor feeder, no matter how many tricks and tips I tried. She was never going to reach any reasonable size to be considered for breeding. I Keep all our snakes in isolation so no male 100% sure. One day this skinny little Snow produced 7eggs two slugs 5 viable. I incubated the 5 good ones and they hatched. 4 males 1 female and all amels. An "expert" I communicated with told me it was impossible for a parthenogenetic event to produce both sexes and a different colour he claimed they should have all been female and all snow, in other words, clones of the mother. I tried to explain that this Snow corn ( who died after the laying session) was het for amel due to her different parents ( bred by me) I had all her history and notes on parents etc. This expert still denied me and claimed I had accidentally let the snake mate. I know this never happened. Sorry for being long-winded I hope you find it interesting. I am still raising those five Parthenogenetic babies today and they are all doing well.
That is amazing story.
I was able to move 3 eggs out of her the way you explained. The gentle massage. And the next day she way able to push an egg down again but got stuck and I repeated the process.. i thought there was hope... But the remaining eggs just never wanted to come down.
Also. I never knew there was a chance they could hatch. Now I wish I kept one or two that looked like good ones.
I used the flashlight and one or two had I guess a center nucleus? But did not see all red veins all around like I saw in youtube videos.
Anyway.. I know she is not feeling good and she is fighting an inflammation (because of tuck egg) and surgery is only way to save her) normally money is not an issue but with having two back to back surgeries and covid situation, barely making rent and bills..I don't want to lose her.