View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
kbmomto3
Impaction? Internal Organs?

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my new amel hatchling, Indy. We did finally get him to eat his first meal this past Monday. He was MUCH more active and seemed to just feel much better after that. (It had been at least 21 days that he'd gone without eating).

However, I'm still concerned about a black spot that I can see inside of him. It was there when we bought him and I was told that it was just his last meal. Last time I posted, it was suggested that it might be an internal organ. It's also been suggested that it could be broken blood vessels.

Since he's eaten, I can see where his most recent meal is moving through his body. Because he's an amel, I can also see his internal organs when I hold him up the the light. His digested food has moved past the black spot, but the spot is too far down, I think, to be organs.

If it was impaction, would his last meal have moved past it or would the impaction have kept his body waste from moving past that point? If so, then I think I can rule out impaction since the other has moved past that and appears to be near the tail (surely there should be some snake poop soon!).

If it's not impaction, any other suggestions on what it could be and if I should worry about it. I don't know of any exotic pet vets around here, but I can start asking around if I need to. I was just hoping to rule anything of concern out.

I've never owned a snake before, but his general health appears to be okay -- he's eating now, eyes are bright and clear, no discharge from the nose/mouth, activity level seems good (and much improved since he ate).

I'd appreciate any insight you might have to offer.

Also, I was going to offer another pinkie tomorrow since it will have been 4 days and since he'd gone so long without eating previously. Should I wait until this first one has completely passed through before offering another? I'm thinking no, but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

~Kris