View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
wstphal
I have looked at many live feeding threads. I won't do it unless it's that or death by starvation. If you think your corn needs more exercise, make him chase the zombie mouse around! If he has a good feeding response he will go up & back the feeding bin a bunch of times as long as you keep the zombie mouse out of reach but within sensing range. Then when you do let him have it he will probably constrict the guts out & get more exercise.

Or you can take him out for regular exercise outdoors, on the couch, on the stairs, in the bathtub, etc to replace the exercise from killing live food.

If you think he needs variety in his diet, you can offer other f/t rodents of the same size (like rat pinks/fuzzys/hoppers) or quail chicks. The risk of this is that he might like those items so much better he refuses mice after that & insists on rat or quail instead.

You can dust the f/t with Nutribac or herp vitamins occasionally to make up for anything lost to freezing. I don't know if that's really necessary, but Nutribac is safe and can't hurt, and vitamins ought to be OK as long as you don't overdo them -- check in Kathy Love's book, I know it says what the deal is with herp vitamins & corn snakes.