View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #5
67temp
I love seeing testing in the name of science

So were these rat fuzzies that you fed? It looks like according to the snakes weight they are on the upper end of their tier for the Munson plan and could soon be swapped to hopper mice which isn't very far off from a rat fuzzy.

My first snake I probably pushed to hard and fast. By the time he was 2 he was 42". He has since been on a diet to keep his size under control. My second corn was about 28"-30" at 2 yo with a much more reasonable feeding plan and schedule. I also noticed when I switched from bulk f/t to the mice I bred I had to cut back on the prey size because mine were making the snakes fatter. So not just size but the quality of rodents and the rodent diet probably plays a role in the growth rate of the snake.

If I get any hold backs this year that match (2 males, or 2 females from the same clutch) I plan to do some testing with feeding and see their growth rate on asf vs mice. They will each get 3 mice pinkies to get them established. After that one of the hold backs will get switched to ASF's and the other will remain on mice. I will follow the Munson plan for feeding. Each week the snakes will get weighed prior to feeding. Prey weighing exactly the same will be given to each of them in hopes that the only thing different is the nutrition of the mouse vs asf. I breed my own asf and mice so I have plenty of supply and know they are both rodents are on the same diet.