View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Roy Munson
Hi Rich.

I re-read that thread, and I think it would be helpful for potential mods and members alike if you gave us your opinions on what went wrong in that thread. I haven't seen any temp-bans issued to the participants (yet), so I'm genuinely interested in how you view the exchange. I definitely see problems in the thread, but I don't know if my view lines up with yours, and I'd like to know.

Some may view the attempts by some members to get the original poster to stop using chat-speak and improve her writing/spelling as antagonistic. While there may be a hint of it, I was more put off by the o.p.'s dismissive and rude replies. I know you didn't author the following, but you must have approved it, or it wouldn't be stickied. How do you feel about members attempting to correct the writing styles that this passage discourages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Members Sticky
3) PROPER SPELLING AND GRAMMAR – This is a VERY important thing. If your posts and questions are filled with misspellings and poor grammar, you won’t be taken too seriously and no one will want to read your posts. This means you won’t receive nearly as much help. A little effort goes a long way. Chat speak in posts is typically not well received.
If you’re not a great speller, there is a spellcheck you can use before submitting your posts. If you’re not a grammar expert, just make sure you capitalize the right words and use periods/question marks.
Here are a couple of other passages from that stickied document. I'm wondering who you think crossed the line in that thread, and who (if anyone) you think deserved the 3-day ban that these passages describe. In my opinion, there were a small number of posters coming close to the line, but only one crossed it. What do you think?
Quote:
7) CROSSING THE LINE - Members who let disagreements get out of hand, post inflammatory responses (personal attacks), or use foul language will receive a 3-Day ban from the forum. This is a time to cool down, collect your thoughts, and come back and become a valuable contributor to the community. If it happens again, you will receive a permanent ban. It may seem harsh, but rules have to be in place to keep the forum a positive place free of animosity amongst its members.
Quote:
5) FOUL LANGUAGE – Cursing is not only ill-received by forum members it will also earn you a 3-day banning from the forum. If it continues you will receive a permanent ban period.