• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My first lock

So far no hidden hets have shown up with the ones that have pipped. Eggs were laid over night on 2/23-24.

Attachments

• 52868337_318639178777463_461614946011054080_n.jpg
    52868337_318639178777463_461614946011054080_n.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 44
Thank you to both of you!

15 of the 16 pipped and came out of the egg on 5/3. Egg #16 wasn't in the clump with the others and it was 2 days after the others had pipped with no sign of this one pipping so I cut the egg some. That baby is still chilling in the egg. I think my wife was more excited for them than me. When I got home from work she had already put them in their own tubs with water after weighing them. Most of the babies averaged around 8g. One little porker was 11g. It's already easy to tell which ones are going to have white borders to their blotches. The only weird one that showed up is the boy in the last pic with the weird dorsal pattern the first half of it's body

Attachments

• Resized952019050395153336959791.jpg
    Resized952019050395153336959791.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 37
  • KIMG0560.JPG
    KIMG0560.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 38
  • KIMG0558.JPG
    KIMG0558.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 38
Thanks!

So I wasn't over whelmed with my first breeding season and to give me a chance to learn and make corrections for incubation I purposely staggered my breeding. Just got 11 eggs from this caramel Miami last night. The babies should be very interesting if the hets prove out.

Attachments

• KIMG0567.JPG
    KIMG0567.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 33
The babies haven't shed yet but I had 2 litters of mice born yesterday. 12 of the 16 ate live day old pinkies last night. I'm hoping the other 4 eat while I'm working today. If not then I'll try them again after they have their first sheds.

The babies haven't shed yet but I had 2 litters of mice born yesterday. 12 of the 16 ate live day old pinkies last night. I'm hoping the other 4 eat while I'm working today. If not then I'll try them again after they have their first sheds.

Are you offering food before their first shed?

I did. The original plan was to wait till after they shed. On a whim I wanted to test one to see if it was interested in eating. That one didn't waste any time. The new born pinkies barely left any bulge in the baby corns. Next time I'm just going to wait.

I did. The original plan was to wait till after they shed. On a whim I wanted to test one to see if it was interested in eating. That one didn't waste any time. The new born pinkies barely left any bulge in the baby corns. Next time I'm just going to wait.

I was just curious. I used to offer first meal right after their first shed, but I started waiting a week after they shed to offer, and I saw an increase in those who ate, and they typically become consistent eaters.

I'm still learning as I go. So you wait roughly 2 weeks after hatching to offer? Have you found if prey size makes a difference in their willingness to eat? Ie a pinkie that is probably a few hours old vs one that is a few days old? Roughly what % of a clutch do you get that accepts their first meal?

I'm still learning as I go. So you wait roughly 2 weeks after hatching to offer? Have you found if prey size makes a difference in their willingness to eat? Ie a pinkie that is probably a few hours old vs one that is a few days old? Roughly what % of a clutch do you get that accepts their first meal?
Yes, it is about 2 weeks after they hatch before I offer their first meal. They absorb the yoke from the egg when they hatch, and they're not always hungry right after they shed. Sometimes it can create a problem eater if offered too soon and they get in the habit of declining food.
I use day old pinkies with hatchlings, and move up as they become established and start to grow.
I have had 100% eating their first meal when I started waiting, sometimes all but one, maybe two will eat their first meal.

A few pictures of some of the babies.

Attachments

• KIMG0663.JPG
    KIMG0663.JPG
    409.5 KB · Views: 30
  • KIMG0658.JPG
    KIMG0658.JPG
    458.6 KB · Views: 30
Day 67 of incubation for my 2nd clutch. First one out looks to be a caramel miami 100% het for sunkissed and bloodred.
5c93c4a376211e2d342d0618b16929d8.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Back