View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #25
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, there is (was?) an area near Wilmington North Carolina where a friend of mine way back when used to hunt for pygmy rattlesnakes. The soil was mostly a reddish colored clay composite, and the pygmies out of that area were just as red as the soil.

Heck, a Caramel corn would be nearly invisible laying among the brown pine needles.

And I've often noticed that many varieties of the Apalachicola kings would look astonishingly similar to a pile of pine cones when coiled up at the base of a pine tree.

And heck, I don't know how many times I have come face to face with a keeled green snake nestled in vines that I didn't see until it snapped into focus right before my eyes.
I was just pruning dead palm fronds ( eat your heart out up north) and found a shed snake skin about 15 inches long. Then I found another even longer. I've got to remember to look up, instead of looking at the ground all the time. These were 8 feet up the palm. Probably black racers.

I was wondering why the Florida king snakes I found were all black with thin white or silver rings, but if they hunt during the night they sure would be hard to spot.

My brother in the Keys says the Pigmy rattlesnakes he's seen around his little garden pond are pink. I told him I've never seen a pink one, thinking he's talking about an albino, which I'd love to see. I told him to send a picture if he sees another one.