View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #63
MegF.
Nope, no benefits to housing in drawers and I don't do it. How do you quarantine if you cohab? If you do quarantine new animals, then they are in separate cages and presumably a different area all together. Therefore you must have space. I've never had a non feeder in adults (except at breeding time), only babies and that's only been 3 out of hundreds. I know that people have removed snakes from cohabbing situations and had them thrive where they didn't before. I've never heard of anyone putting them together to make them thrive. I was merely stating a fact that this guy's two snakes did not do well. One did all right, the other did not. It never had a chance to see if it would do better alone or not because someone told him it was fine. Obviously something was not. Yours are doing okay but I can tell you that you are raising snakes that are indigenous to this country and I live where they are found naturally. I am telling you that I have NEVER found a cornsnake or any other species of snake together. It's not natural and it makes no sense if you look at it. Food is hard to come by. Snakes generally hunt for weeks for food before finding it. Two snakes in the same area compete for single prey items. Not a good idea. Spreading out and staying away from each other makes the chances of each finding food better. They don't hunt in packs so there's no benefit to staying together. They don't fight off predators together so there's no benefit for protection. If you choose to cohabitate...do it. I personally don't think it's in the animals' best interest. As for breeding...sure, it's for us. It's also so that I don't have to go out in the wild and further decimate the population so that YOU can have a pet cornsnake. I can breed them here and provide healthy captive babies for the next child or adult who would like to enjoy wonders of snakes. I also keep extremely rare snakes that would not be found outside their native countries if I didn't try to breed them in captivity to make them accessible. There are more reasons than just making money at it.