View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
scmartin27
Births & Deaths

When i first obtained the 2 adult Het golden males from Pierce they both had Respiratory infections. The sterile male was worse. despite efforts (antibiotics, lots of time at the vet, etc) he passed away last week due to complications from the RI - that had persisted long before coming to me. Though he was thought to be sterile, I had hope he would breed. But they're both older, and a long-term illness, along with lung scarring, just overtook him.

BETTER news - all babies from the 2 clutches from 2 ph golden x ph golden pairs have hatched. Clutch #59 (the first clutch) had none that I would suspect were Golden. A few Caramels and a ton of classics - with some motleys thrown in.

EVEN better news - Clutch #61 DID have 3 that were "possible" golden. One unfortunately passed away shortly after hatching due to "Hard belly" (the yolk hardens when absorbed instead of being used as nutrients) - we just caught it too late to remove it. But 2 still remain. One I am 100% sure is at least Caramel, the other may not be. I'm NOT 100% sure either ARE golden, but they certainly look different than the regular caramels from the clutch. I'll attach photos.

We have not gotten any eggs from the other pairs we had together. So it looks like the season is probably over. This gives me hope, though - the female who produced the possible goldens will be the first to be introduced to the known het golden male next season.

Feel free to let me know your thoughts on any of this - especially the photos. I intend to get more photos as they grow, and I plan to keep a known Caramel for reference.

Photos:
1) Poss Golden who passed away
2) Poss Golden who is still alive
3) Poss Caramel Golden (at least caramel) - still alive
4) Top = caramel/poss golden caramel, Bottom = poss golden who passed away - photo taken just after hatching
5) current photo of poss golden