Thread: Clifford's Care
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
I agree with the above. You don't have to spend a lot of money on taking humidity readings. If you watch your local weather, the humidity in your house will be within a few percent what it is outside.

For years I never even took humidity readings with Boas and the King Snake. This Corn snake I currently have is the first snake I've ever had a cheap Hygrometer stuck to the inside of the tank. It works well, and I still don't think I need it but what the hell.

Get yourself a digital Kitchen Scale. You can find them at Walmart, Target, almost any store that sells Kitchen wares. Most of them weigh in both ounces and grams, and that's what you want. I got mine at Target and I think I paid about 30 bucks for it.

I use it to weigh both the snake and the mice.

Your snake is obviously young and small, and we can't really tell by your picture. If you weigh the snake you'll know for sure.

Feed mice that weigh about 10% to 13% of your snake's weight. If your snake weighs for example, 40 grams, then you'd want to offer a meal around 4.5 grams. This could be 2 pinkies totaling that amount or 1 small fuzzy. If you snake weighs 100 grams, then you'd offer a mouse in the 12 gram range...etc.....

If the snake regurgitated after eating a fuzzy, it could be that the food item was too big. Too big an item can cause regurgitation. You stated that had already happened, but was that last week or 6 months ago? If it was a while ago, the snake could be big enough now to eat a fuzzy. It looks big enough to me for fuzzies, but I'm going to recommend you weigh the snake to be sure.

Besides a food item being too big, there are other things that can cause regurgitation. Rough handling after feeding, and Incorrect temperatures. Also intestinal diseases or blockages but if that was the case you'd already know by now.