View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #13
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Quote:
So the point of all this is, I guess, I STILL get nightmares about doing shows. So what is that telling you?
It's a classic case of PTSD. Look at how much free therapy you are getting.
Several years ago I went to pick up a holdback snake the breeder finally said he would sell me. When I got there his wife said she didn't know which snake it was, as they had thousands of corns there. I asked where her husband was and she said he was in the hospital because he just had a nervous breakdown. She said it probably wouldn't be a good time to ask him about snakes.
I can think of a few someones who might be who you are referring to.

I think there is an excellent possibility that many people in this business carry a pocketful of Valium with them, especially while at the shows. I know I had an emergency stash in my desk drawer. I would quarter a pill and just take a quarter of it to take the "edge" off of the day every now and again. I believe I still have some in that drawer. Yeah, expiration date on the box says "07 2007". Of course, haven't touched the stuff since retiring.

I remember one day, I think the year when I had 8,000 babies hatching out, that I was standing in the back room after looking at all the egg laying containers with the red colored dots on them, indicating that they needed to have the babies set up in their individual deli cups. I was looking at an enormous amount of work. I was standing in the back room and actually felt my body start shaking. I was nearly overcome with the urge to run out the door into the woods, screaming. But I just pulled myself together, telling myself I didn't have time for that. I had work to do, and if I didn't get to it, animals were going to die.

That was always the enormous burden of doing this sort of stuff. If you didn't do the work, as quickly as it needed to be done, things would die. It was an unbelievable relief to feel that lifted off my shoulders when we retired.