View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
JustinOfCO
Thanks for your input, Knox! As for food, what additional food should be introduced for the decomposers? Is the leaf litter that is added sufficient or is there an additional food source? The books and sites I've read so far have made it sound like the detritivores feed primarily on the waste matter of the live plants and the snake, with the additional added leaf litter. If I go that route, however, I want to make sure that I haven't missed something from poor sources. Hopefully weekly monitoring won't be too bad, I already check my plants regularly with a moister probe to try and keep from "killing them with kindness" by over watering. It is very dry here most of the time, so hopefully keeping mold at bay will be easy with good vigilance.

The 'simple but nice' approach is the other one I'm seriously considering. Since my terrarium will be in my living room, I am looking for something that fits the snake's needs while being nice to look at. I may go with that anyway, simply because I have no idea when I may have to move again. Just wanting to go with something darker than the aspen for substrate, since the light aspen just seems off to me, visually.