Thread: Dazzling video!
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #16
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
I hear you Tavia. I finally was able to afford my DSLR last month! It's entry level but I did pay a little more and get what is called a travel kit lens (Canon EOS Rebel T6i DSLR Camera with 18-135mm Lens) just so I had a little more flexibility. It doesn't have 4K either, just HD.

Cameras and lenses are another area of life where you make so many trade offs and compromises. No one lens or camera does it all.

I saw that same problem you had at the zoo when I was in Kenya in 2011. Some of us were snapping away at the elephants, lions, and giraffes with our compact zooms (mine is 16x) while "Bob" was switching out lenses on his DSLR.

I've seen pros carry two cameras on a body harness for I assume similar reasons (don't know if harness is the correct term) just like you are talking about with you and your husband.

Let us know what you get when you get it! I appreciate your modesty, but you regularly capture snake pics that are stunning. I know good when I see it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack Rich's video thread, but I have enjoyed the conversation nonetheless!
I too have a Canon 1200 D (same thing as the T5 & T6 only minor differences) and the kit I got came with 2 lenses, an 18 to 55 mm and a 75 to 300 Zoom. I've always been a big fan of Canon, most of their cameras are pretty good, even the cheaper ones.

The only thing I don't like too much is the fact that nowadays you just can't get fast lenses anymore. I remember from my old "Film Cameras back in the day" a typical lens was an F 1.4 and a Telephoto or Zoom was usually around an F 2. These new Digitals come with lenses that start at F 4 or F 5.6. That's pretty crappy in my opinion and they make up for it by boosting the ISO/ASA to astronomical levels. I used to shoot outdoor pictures with ASA 64 or 100 Film and indoor or low light with ASA 400. With these new digital cameras, you have to hit ISO 3200 sometimes to get the same picture you used to get out of ASA 400 film. And although the pic may look OK on the small screen, when you upload it to a Computer it suddenly becomes blurry and grainy.

I've been told you can still get faster lenses but the price is in the thousands of dollars and most people don't want to pay 2 thousand for a lens to put on a 300 dollar camera. While I agree with that, I still don't understand why a good F1.4 lens should cost that much. I never paid anywhere close to that before.

As for the Macro stuff, it probably says on the side of your lense what your focus distance is. Every lens is different. My 18 to 55 mm will focus at 8 inches. Whereas my 75 to 300 mm will only focus to 5 feet. 8 inches is pretty close, at least close enough for my picture taking. And you should set your camera to the "Portrait" setting when you're trying to get really close pictures.

I'm certainly not a pro, but I've been dabbling in photography for many years and used to take pride in my "Film Picture taking" and only got the digital SLR about a year ago. I'm still playing with it and trying to learn how to squeeze a good picture out of it but it's certainly nothing like a Film camera with an F 1.4 lens.