View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 01:40 AM   #2
Joejr14
Rich-

I was going to email you back, but since this is out in the open I'm just going to reply here.

First off, I've got to say I'm pretty shocked at your reaction. I actually think it will be GREAT if you enable the logging feature. You know how this website is---we tend to police our own. There is a LOT of crap that happens in chat that we do not involve you in because we know you are busy. We either ignore the person who's being a pain and trolling, or we make a room and boot them out until they figure it out. Maybe that's not 'nice', but neither is coming into a cornsnake chat room to be rude and expect EVERYONE to stop what they're talking about to answer your off topic question.

Just in this past week, I believe we've had a private room set up because of trolls from Fauna. Nobody emailed you about BPLover being a pain because it's easy enough to just create a room and deal with the situation. It's a thin line---you tell us you want to know when someone is trolling the chat room, but we all know that you're busy and have better things to do then read chat logs and ban people for being stupid.

However, what are we supposed to do? Why is our job to 'be nice' to rude people from Fauna who come into a cornsnake chat room to talk about frogs, toad, torts, iguana, lizards, moths, salamanders, etc etc? I don't get it. I feel like you're yelling at us because we're not accomodating these people---and that makes no sense to me. Is it snobbish? I don't know---the chat room is a clique--it's the same folks night in and night out. It's extremely rude to be doing what they're doing. They would be pissed off if we did the same to them, but we don't, because we have courtesy and class.

So, how do we handle these situations? Everyone tonight was clearly pretty pissed off from earlier in the week and just totally fed up with the trolls---and that showed up. I'm not sorry, and I'm not going to apologize for telling him to gtfo. Maybe that's wrong, but I don't see why I'm anymore at fault then he was---I didn't come blasting into a room with "I HAVE A TORT AND I NEED QUESTIONS ANSWERED! HELLO?!?!?!?! WHY IS NOBODY ANSWERING ME?!?!?!?! YOU GUYS SUCK1!!!!!!"

That is the kinda crap we deal with just about each and every night, and Rich, it gets OLD quick.

It's not the fact that they're from Fauna, or that they want to talk about off topic material---since we do that ALL the time---it's the way the present themselves. If you ask, "Does anyone have torts?" and we say no---then leave it that was what you wanted to talk about. Don't keep it up being a pain in the butt just to be one.

Basically, I'm just confused. We get into trouble for sticking up and telling someone to leave, perhaps rudely, or we be nice at the expense of our conversation. What are we to do? Put the same people that come in from Fauna on ignore every night, create a private room with a password, or what? I don't think it's fair that our convos suffer because someone has the courtesy and common decency of a cretin....