• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scaleless Snakes: A brief history

RobbiesCornField

Bring it on.
Being one of the newer mutations in several different species throughout the hobby, this particular gene is causing quite a stink. People are calling them an "abomination" that could "never survive in the wild".

Scaleless snakes have been found in the wild as far back as 1942 when the first scaleless Western garter snake was captured. After that in 1971, a scaleless gopher snake was captured.

licth_bennett_scaleless_gopher_snake.jpg

Photo source

Shortly after that, a scaleless mole snake was captured in 1978. Following that came an Eastern garter snake in 1982. The most important observation made by the scientists was that they were captured in varying stages of maturity (hatchling to adult), and none were noted to be any more scarred than "normal" snakes captured from the same area. In 1985, Dr. H. Bernard Bechtel obtained a pair of scaleless Texas rat snakes from the Bronx Zoo. In 1990, he proved out the gene as simple recessive. Another source

In the time that science has known of the scaleless mutation, multiple studies have been done to see if scaleless snakes dehydrate more quickly than their scaled kin. The short answer? No. No they do not.

Since then, the scaleless gene seems to be cropping up in many different species, especially those heavily propagated in captive breeding programs. Here are a few examples of some recently discovered scaleless specimens in a variety of species:

Ball pythons

derma2ol6.jpg

Corns

scaleless-corn-snakes_eng_html_405e167d.jpg

Texas rat snakes

1378609_10152513049897841_1519570093_n.jpg

Gopher snakes

11836d1290120006-fao-al-stotton-scaleless-gopher-snake-60024scalless3.jpg

Death adders

Scale-less_800_(Small).jpg

Burmese pythons

IMG_4483.jpg

Hognoses

hog1.jpg

Rattlesnakes

6962302525_d66da13f2b_o.jpg

And many, many more.

In short, it has been proven that this gene is not lethal to the animal, and that wild specimens can survive, and even thrive. It is not an abomination, and is not something to stick your nose up at. You may not like them, and that's fine! No one is forcing you to. But before you bash something for being different, do a little research first. These are absolutely awesome little animals, and deserve the same respect that any other morph does.

The rattlesnake looks like it just curled up in a grocery bag. XD

I might need a death adder too, they look so goshdarn hilarious (oh the hilarious death that would occur I bet)

I did not realize this mutation was found in so many different species! Great write-up, Robbie!

Gonna go look at all the pictures again...

The rattlesnake looks like it just curled up in a grocery bag. XD

I might need a death adder too, they look so goshdarn hilarious (oh the hilarious death that would occur I bet)

:roflmao: It would be the most adorable cause of death ever. "I was just going in to pinch his cute widdle scalewess face!"

Well, if you don't live with me, you don't get a vote...

:grin01:

I did not realize this mutation was found in so many different species! Great write-up, Robbie!

Gonna go look at all the pictures again...

Thank you! And go do a Google search for some more pictures. The scaleless gopher snakes are particularly beautiful! And will probably be my next scaleless purchase, IF I can find some at a good price.

that scaleless hognose is UNBELIEVABLY. adorable!
his eye balls look huge!! almost alian like! :p

I'm inlove.:eek:

Back