View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
diamondlil
What a pretty corn!
The genetics that cause the changes in pattern from normal or wild-type to diffusion aren't just a simple on/off thing. All diffused corns vary, even in the same clutch and when I breed a clutch of them I always wonder how they will develop as they do then change so much as they grow towards being adults.
With the addition of genes that will determine how red or orange their background colour ends up, how clear of belly checkers they end up, how much their side pattern is broken up, whether they still show saddles distinctly from the background, whether they have dark, melanin stripes, they are endlessly exciting to breed and to grow up into adults.
I've got diffused corns from very distinct lines and I really can't choose which I prefer. To me I wouldn't say they are better or worse quality, but that they express their genetic backgrounds. If just choosing a pair that look a certain way guaranteed how their offspring will turn out, there wouldn't be any surprises when each year's babies start to hatch and then grow on!
Here's one of my diffused snakes, Polly Lane, from a baby to an adult.