View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #92
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Serpentis View Post
Entire clutches are not needed to show that some trait can be line bred into an animal and produce progeny that are within a certain guideline. One need only look at the many breeds of dogs that have all been selectively bred to exhibit certain traits to such an extent that these traits are given names such as poodle, zu, pomeranian, klee kai, etc. Man has been breeding hybridizing for a few years now and to think that snakes are one of those animals that for one reason or another has a strong taboo with some when it regards hybridizing is strange to me personally when so many other animals are hybridized without so much as anyone even blinking an eye in comparison. A good breeder can in fact breed any trait into his line and have it breed true after a few generations. Breeding out the unwanted genes can also be done with a rudimentary understanding of genetics and an eye for detail.
Ahhh yes, you and the ol' mutt dog thing again!..LOL!

I can always count on you for a hybrid 101 lesson. And YES!, entire clutches definitely WOULD be needed in the case ot THOSE snakes Mitch posted to bolster any of this at all, not just locating singled-out examples here and there of some individual Cal. king x corn crosses that looks similar to Tesseras.

Explain then precisely HOW everyone always consistently gets either absolutely NORMAL phenotype corns OR 50% totally whacky Tessera phenotypes every time a Tessera x normal corn is bred??? If this alleged "hybrid" Cal. king gene is so over-powering, then how would 50% textbook phenotypic NORMAL CORNS be produced within every single clutch of these? I assure you and everyone else, if these were hybrids, every single offspring would NOT be either a Tessera phenotype or COMPLETELY NORMAL corn phenotype EVERY SINGLE TIME FOR GENERATION AFTER GENERATION.

I do not see how it is possible that all these snakes would be retaining only the striping pattern of a Cal. king, yet have the entire textbook morphology of 100% cornsnake in the many countless numbers of clutches produced around the world. And IF the hybrid Cal. king striping is so incredibly dominating (as is being portrayed), then how are ANY NORMAL phenotypic corns produced at all, much less 50% textbook corn phenotypes CONSISTENTLY as the sun rising from the east and setting from the west???

~Doug