• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Temperature variation across the vivarium

Kopper

Totally new member with my first corn snake who is 3-4 years old. Purchased from a breeder this past weekend at a Repticon event.

I bought a large eco-terra vivarium (36X18X18). I have placed a 8X12 ZooMed UTH under the right side of the tank. Then I placed a hide over a portion of that mat (and it is 85 degrees under the hide). The vivarium is so big however that the other side on the vivarium is in the 60s which I understand is too cold.. So, I currently have placed a heading pad under the middle of the vivarium (plenty of air space between the heating pad and the vivarium and a grate underneath it). But, the heating pad thing seems a poor long term solution and I am still freaked out about how safe it is to leave it on 24/7. So my question is would it be best to buy another UTH controlled by a thermostat to keep the rest of the vivarium the proper temp? I happen to have an 8X18 UTH unused at the moment but am concerned that may be way too big. So, any and all help appreciated. Thank you!

I would set up a second heating pad on the cool side with its own thermostat set around 72-74 degrees. The 8 x 18 UTH would be okay for this.

Thermostats are great for holding temperatures at a desired level. Unfortunately, most are now made in China. Quality control is often low or non-existent. For that reason I use thermometers with build in alarms to keep an eye on the heat. ThermoWorks makes a relatively inexpensive model, RT801, with high and low alarms. They may also be made in China, but odd readings can be investigated quickly.

Back