Thread: Dazzling video!
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #21
DollysMom
Hi again Rich. Yes, the autofocus in video can be a problem. If you want to use your DSLR primarily for video, that's a big consideration. Some cameras handle it more gracefully than others. My Canon is a little better this area, but I wouldn't recommend a Canon to a Nikon guy. We all have our comfort zones and I believe that in cameras it's probably best to stay in your comfort zone. This issue will continue to be addressed by the camera manufacturers, I'm sure.

About crop factor, you can use any lens on a crop factor camera and get good results. However, if you put a lens designed for a crop factor camera on a full frame, you will get the vignetting as you said. Crop factor cameras are the more entry level and the only affordable choice for someone like me who is just getting into it a little more seriously.

A decent crop factor lens can be sold when you upgrade. Even today's kit lenses are generally decent. But it is important to consider all of that stuff. My new camera is crop factor and with Canon that crop factor is 1.6. With Nikon and most others the crop factor is 1.5. Go figure.

All I can do is send best wishes on your sorting it out and finding a camera and lens(es) that do best what you need it for most.

Hi again Karl. The only thing about autofocus is that the DSLR cameras don't have some of the tools, like that little split thingy in the viewfinder (prism?) that we used to use for manual focus. In most cases, the camera can focus more accurately than we can.

I don't usually go full manual and instead use aperature priority. I only use shutter priority if something is moving fast. One nice thing that I love about DSLR is that touch screen makes changing a myriad of settings easier than ever before.

In some ways analog was better, but we live in an internet world. 99.44% of my keepers never see paper.

Under certain circumstances a picture taken with a phone or point and shoot is visually indistinguishable from a picture taken with a DSLR.

I view most of my pictures on my iPad and most of the pictures I share, I share in the web. But for me the bottom line is that choice of DSLR is so personal. While some people are evangelists, all I can say is find the camera, analog or digital,that is best for your needs and comfort levels. None of them, and I mean *none* are perfect.

In the meantime, I'll keep practicing with my little entry level camera