• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

what would I get?

well candycane is "just" a Amel and if there are no hets on either side, the offspring will be, Normal het amel. :)

pdrsnakes said:
thanks. is it 100% het. for amel
The % is just a probability, so yes, they are all 100% possible het for amel.

Here's what's happening behind the curtain:

The male candycane has gene a<sup>a</sup> paired up with a<sup>a</sup> and one of these will be in each sperm cell.

The female normal has gene A<sup>+</sup> paired up with A<sup>+</sup> and one of these will be in each egg cell.

The offspring will have come from eggs that were A<sup>+</sup> fertilized by a sperm cell that was a<sup>a</sup>, so they will all be A<sup>+</sup>·a<sup>a</sup> (which is what "normal, het for amel" means.)
:)

its fun times! I have my first clutch in the hatcher and I will have normals het aneryA, charcoal and amel, if there are no suprice hets!

Good luck to you!

3330PHILIP said:
Hi Roy. I'm sorry for being dense but what does het mean? Cheers
Het means that a particular gene pair (in this case, pertaining to amel) is made up of two different genes, as opposed to two identical copies.

In this case, "het for amel" means that it is carrying one copy of the amel gene (a<sup>a</sup>) paired with one copy of the wild-type (A<sup>+</sup>) gene.

3330PHILIP said:
Hi Roy. I'm sorry for being dense but what does het mean? Cheers
The jargon in any given subject can be incredibly nonintuitive. :)

Check out the "Sooo confused" thread today on this forum. It asks the same question.

Back