View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #96
Kevin S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMong View Post
I do not see how it is possible that all these snakes would be retaining only the striping pattern of a Cal. king, yet have the entire textbook morphology of 100% cornsnake in the many countless numbers of clutches produced around the world.
Let's say someone breeds an albino cal king to a normal corn. Breed those het jungles together and you get some albino jungles. Breed one of the albino jungles to a normal corn and you get super corns het albino...continue on with this pattern for a few generations and eventually you'll get albino snakes that have the scalation and other morphological characteristics of a corn, but they're not amel corns-they got their albinism from a cal king ancestor. It'd be much simpler with a dominant trait (like tessera) since you'd have no hets to deal with and could just breed a funky patterned offspring to a pure corn and get more of the same pattern with progressively more corn influence each time.

IF the dominant pattern mutation came from a cal king or resulted from the combination of corn and king genes, that's how it would be done. So the question isn't how could you breed away the king traits and keep the pattern, but whether or not a king would be necessary to originate the pattern in the first place. We'll never know at this point and as I said before, I don't see it being a very critical question regardless...makes for some interesting conversation though.