View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
I only want to add you can't say enough that breeding snakes can lead to heartbreaking moments. I've lost females to egg laying complications, have had to put down kinked babies, have had a long awaited morph hatch and then just die.
It's heartbreaking, alright. I almost left the hobby after a yearling rack overheating a few years back. Not only were animals I cared about dead, they were my future breeding plans. And nothing is worse than culling. I hate to kill a mouse, I literally lose sleep over baby snakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
I have decided to breed fewer snakes next year. I have a small market around here (local pet stores and expos) but selling online can be tiresome and shipping is so expensive that most people wouldn't want to pay that much for it- especially if the shipping costs more than the snake itself.
That's the sticking point. Breed $200 corns, and you aren't getting many buyers at the pet stores and expos. Yet $50 corns don't warrant shipping. I wish it was simple as "breed what you like," but I could produce an awful lot of aneries every year! I love aneries and lavenders.