Thread: Missing scales?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
Twolunger
It does sound like scale rot, but a good veterinarian can give you better information. I have seen scale rot, but thankfully not on my snakes. It is usually caused by too much humidity, wet substrate, or bacterial buildup. It is good that you noticed it somewhat early. If you want to try to treat the condition, assuming it is caused by bacteria, I'll tell you what others have told me when they treated their snakes.

1. Set up a quarantine tank or enclosure, with proper heat gradient. Use paper towels instead of substrate. Use disposable hides, like paper towel tubes.

2. Clean the affected scale areas at least daily, using Betadine solution. Some have used Clorhexadine. You can briefly soak her in the lukewarm, 82 degree solution, but she probably won't like to stay in it very long. After treatment, rinse her well, dry her and apply triple antibiotic cream (without pain killer additive). Some have had good results using 1% Silvadine cream (silver sulfadiazine) Ask your pharmacy for the correct Betadine solution mixture. Some use 1% and others told me they used 10% mixed with water. Hope the items are available in your area.

3. Clean her original vivarium with a good bleach solution, after throwing out all the old substrate. Clean and disinfect anything you intend to keep in the vivarium, like hides.

4. Keep up the treatments until she sheds again, and see if the problem has been resolved. If so, she can go back to her usual vivarium. I wouldn't use those wood chips as substrate.