• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tank Temperatures

officerhoffman

How'bout that?
I took some temperatures of my tank, I used a Pyrex Probe Digital thermometer.

here is a chart of the tank temp's

tank_temp.jpg

I have a 20 L tank (30X12) with an under tank heater. The Hide is in the center of the tank the water is on the opposite side of the heater.

if room temp is at 75 - 80 should I just unplug the heater?
I live in Arizona it's still hot it .. the A/C will kick on today, it's supposed to get up to 92.

You also should really look at getting a few more hides. Even if they are just like TP Rolls or something of that nature. i jut put a papertowel roll in for my adult he thought it was pretty cool.

Just get a thermostat or reostat as already mentioned to keep the temps at the proper level.You may want to get another hide and put one at the hot end(over the heater) and one at the cool end. I'm also curious about the temps 3.73 inches to the left of the water dish. :rolleyes:

officerhoffman said:
LOL, I'm a bit anal-retentive.

Just joking around with ya! I keep feeding and weight charts for my birds.Just shows your trying to do it the right way.Good luck. :cheers:

Here's a photo of the tank setup.

I've moved the "tree" to the left side of the tank over by the heater sense this photo was taken. I'm also not to crazy about the quality of this tank.. the deal was glued on wrong and now it's all bowed in the front.. it doesn't appear to be a problem for the lid though, it fits all nice and snug.

tank.jpg

After seeing the tank I too think you need to add some decor. I mean, that way you have a glass tank right??
The temps are on the warm side too. 97 degrees is good for IR issues but that all.

everyone's given great advice, I just wanted to say nice effort on that chart there.

I love diagrams.
: D

I hope that ZooMed Rheostat works ok for you, a lot of people have trouble with the ZooMed rheostats not dialing down low enough. I guess anything would help though.

You could also get a lamp dimmer for about $9 at walmart, pre-made that will work quite well.

I agree with the others here, you need more hides, and not another half log. Half logs don;t make very good snake hides as they are too open. Get something more enclosed with just one opening.

Lennycorn said:
After seeing the tank I too think you need to add some decor. I mean, that way you have a glass tank right??
The temps are on the warm side too. 97 degrees is good for IR issues but that all.

Lennys right, with no brush that snake will never come out. My tanks are a little crowded, but the more useless crap I pile in there, the more they come out. They dont like to feel like their right out in the open. Shes in her hides tonight cause shes digesting.

viv.jpg

Flagg said:
I hope that ZooMed Rheostat works ok for you, a lot of people have trouble with the ZooMed rheostats not dialing down low enough. I guess anything would help though.

I agree with the others here, you need more hides, and not another half log. Half logs don;t make very good snake hides as they are too open. Get something more enclosed with just one opening.

Makes me wish I read some reviews before jumping on that eBay auction :nope:

I understand that you all are saying that I should get more hides, what is the reasoning for this. I read somewhere that you shouldn't put a hide over the warm area cause their instinct to hide is grater than their instinct to regulate their body temperature. and in multiple pictures I've seen people have their snakes in a rubber-made with some napkins and a dog dish. :rolleyes: but then again, I'm open to the suggestions. You all are indeed the experts here. I just like the clean look of his setup as it is I guess.

officerhoffman said:
Makes me wish I read some reviews before jumping on that eBay auction :nope:

I understand that you all are saying that I should get more hides, what is the reasoning for this. I read somewhere that you shouldn't put a hide over the warm area cause their instinct to hide is grater than their instinct to regulate their body temperature. and in multiple pictures I've seen people have their snakes in a rubber-made with some napkins and a dog dish. :rolleyes: but then again, I'm open to the suggestions. You all are indeed the experts here. I just like the clean look of his setup as it is I guess.

With one hide in the middle your not allowing the snake to choose the temp it wants to be in. Your giving it one option and one alone especially that theres no plants in your tank. Shell end up staying in that hide wheher she is comfortable or not. The one hide in the middle is probably too warm to be considered cool ...... and too cool to be considered warm.......

You need a hide on each, the cool and warm side, and even then the snake may choose to spend 90% of its time next to the water dish like mine does. She does use the warm hide for digesting and when shes in blue though. Thats what its there for, when she wants it.

That kind of minimal setup is in a tub/rack system where it is a little darker. The water dishes however are great on cool side as they serve as a water dish and a hide and dish washer safe and cheap. In a glass viv they feel very vulnerable and will want to stay under cover. If you lived in Florida you would seldom see a corn sitting in your back yard during the day out in the open. I'm not explaining this very well. If all they have in their viv or tub is paper towel they will go under the paper towel and you won't see them. If you put lots of stuff in the viv they will hide under it but you will still see them. I use aspen and mine burrow, but they have spots where they will stick their head out and I can see them. susang

JustineNYC said:
With one hide in the middle your not allowing the snake to choose the temp it wants to be in. Your giving it one option and one alone especially that theres no plants in your tank. Shell end up staying in that hide wheher she is comfortable or not. The one hide in the middle is probably too warm to be considered cool ...... and too cool to be considered warm.......

You need a hide on each, the cool and warm side, and even then the snake may choose to spend 90% of its time next to the water dish like mine does. She does use the warm hide for digesting and when shes in blue though. Thats what its there for, when she wants it.

I like the way you've explained it, it makes sense. Rather than just saying that you need to do it.. I guess I just needed it spelled out for me. Now I just need to find something that both of us like ..

It seems rather funny now but when I first joined I thought the people who kept their snakes in Sterilite tubs were awful. I now know it's not awful, I keep my hatchlings in tubs, it's just easier.
I might suggest the dollar store for fake plants and stuff, that way you can throw it away when they poo on it. susang

officerhoffman said:
I like the way you've explained it, it makes sense. Rather than just saying that you need to do it.. I guess I just needed it spelled out for me. Now I just need to find something that both of us like ..

You can look online too to get an idea of whats out there, or to even order.

www.reptilesupply.com

www.reptiledirect.com

I have a big branch in one of my tanks that my snake actually fits inside of, but that spot doesnt do much for temps. Look under habitat decorations, theres huts, caves, silk plants......

Even something like this is cute, I have it in with one of my snakes. The bottom is open, its plastic and not sharp....and something different

463541.jpg

Its actually for fish.... :shrugs:

Severus' belly

My wife found a spot (wound like spot) on his belly, this got me to looking into things and made me look into the temperature better. I've been watching this wound area very well and have bathed him once or twice. The area doesn't appear to be getting worse.

here's a (big) photo.
severus_belly.jpg

who knew you could scan a snake, I just laid a white towel over him and he was chill.

Area one you'll notice his last meal, his 10/19/2007 Pinky he ate at 1:40am. It's been almost 48 hours and he still is showing. he has only taken 2 Pinkies while we've had him, before that we don't know (petco :rolleyes: ). He ate his first on 10/12/2007 @ 4:00pm and wouldn't eat 3 day's later, so I decided that I'd wait a few more day's. after some coaxing on the 7th day he ate this pink. The first Pink showed for over 48 hours as well. He didn't have any problems taking either of them down.

now on to the problem area.

the second area shows the sore,. . what do you guys think? Blisters, Cut? I'm not sure.. like I said.. it doesn't appear to be getting worse.

thanks for any help you can give.

officerhoffman said:
My wife found a spot (wound like spot) on his belly.......the second area shows the sore,. . what do you guys think? Blisters, Cut? I'm not sure.. like I said.. it doesn't appear to be getting worse.

You got me of the cause. Burn? scrape :shrugs: but it look like a missing scale on the top left.
I would apply neosporin on it and change the bedding to newspaper/papertowels til it heals over.

Back