View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
bitsy
I've occasionally force-fed with small sections of mouse tail dunked in CCF. I dislike force-feeding as I've never had any luck getting hatchlings to eat voluntarily afterwards. I've never used a pinkie pump - mouse tail is quite thin and I've found it less traumatic than whole pinkies. It's not as nutritional though.

After force-feeding neither of mine put on weight, which makes me think they probably have some sort of internal problems that I won't be able to overcome. In the past when I've just been dealing with "reluctant" hatchlings, most will put on a growth spurt, even after only a couple of sections of mouse tail.

I must stress that force-feeding is only ever my last resort after all the other tricks and tips have failed. As I said, I don't have much faith in the technique for anything other than physical maintenance while hoping that the feeding instinct will kick in.

I put CCF in their water and at the next water change I switch to Nutrobal, which is a probiotic, to keep the gut flora up and aid digestion.

As yours was feeding OK, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before she gets back into the habit. As you say, it could well be a shed cycle. Trying her every 3-4 days sounds right.