View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 03:26 AM   #2
Mrs InsaneOne
This is something we have noticed in our colonies as well Joe, I don't think it is just the frequency of feedings involved.

For example, take that male anery het lavender that we got from you. He was 30 grams back in September and he's nearly 200 grams now. I didn't feed him overly agressively, but he ate more readily then some of our other snakes.

I have another, a lavender motley girl here, from Forktongue Farms, that weighed maybe 4 grams when we brought her home. She was a tiny runt for sure when we got her back in September and she's only at about 30-40 grams. Yet, the little non-feeder we purchased from you is well over 50 grams and she was about the same size as the lav motley at the same time and both have been fed on the same days. The blood's siblings, that we have, are pushing 80 I believe.

Then we have the huge sunkissed boy from CCCorns, he's been fed more of a maintentance diet then the undersized snakes and the other snakes we picked up about March of last year, and he's between 150 and 175. He's lucky to get a mouse less then 7-10 days after his last.

To me, in what I have observed in our collection, I think frequency coupled with a snake's line genetics is what determines the growth rate. Not to mention proper heating during the digestion period can be a big factor as well.

I have not noticed a difference between those of my snakes on a f/t diet as opposed to a live/prekill diet EXCEPT when it came to the adults and sub-adults that would take only F/T grew slower when fed F/T that I bought from other sources. The snakes eating F/T that was from our colonies grew the same as those eating live/prekill from our colonies.

So, quality of food would be a factor could be a factor in some cases.

Jenn