View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #17
DollysMom
I agree with educating yourself all you can. I'm that way too. I do want to caution you though, that you will make mistakes. All you can do is minimize mistakes and with the information you are gathering none of the mistakes should prove devastating.

Knowing I was someday going to need a large enclosure if I was able to get my eastern indigo snake, I talked to the Animal Plastics folks when I was at Tinley a year ago. They were very easy to talk to. I feel like I got real straight answers. So between all the good reviews, doing a lot of research, and talking to them, I'm looking forward to doing business with them in 1.5 to 2 years.

On a slightly different topic, if you don't have one already, the time to find a competent snake vet is before you need them. Talk to people in your area, especially any at a local herp society for recommendations. It often pays just to take one of your animals in for a general check up to get to know the vet and to establish yourself as a patient. Then when you really need them they will be there for you. I know that my vet that has a special emergency number that they only give out to patients. However they do have a referral to 24/7 clinic on their website for everyone.

I know that people with large numbers of animals can't take them all to the vet. I only have four and taking them for regular check ups gives me great peace of mind.