View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Taceas
BBB, the last time I checked the forum had no moderators or hall monitors. So what's your beef with people getting lax in how THEY conduct themselves? If Rich finds personal fault in it, he'll make them change it. Until then, stop being sheriff.

Now granted, I've sent a couple of polite PM's myself to remind people who are grossly breaking the rule. They thanked me for pointing out a rule that they haven't seen or heard about and changed their signature areas. Most were new people who apparently still had the excitedness over joining a forum where they can feel free to go crazy in their love of cornsnakes. That was their only mistake.

But I would never go so far as to say that some people who donate to this site think they're above the rule. I don't think I've seen any Contributor breaking this rule so grossly that it needs to be pointed out. Then again, that comment could be seen as a bias.

To be honest, no one seems to pay attention to the stickies at the tops of the forums, myself included. They're there day after day and you get used to them, taking that for granted you can miss something new that may be posted. They don't pop out at you enough to make you take notice.

Some of the rules/guidelines are scattered all over the forum, so sometimes I can't find fault in new people tripping up now and then. Even I have had to dig to get information a time or two. Maybe a section for Rules and Regulations pertaining to the site should be created up under the New Member section so there is no question of "not seeing it". Most new people I've noticed don't ever read far down enough to realize the same question they asked was asked yesterday, let alone reading all the way down to see the rules. Just a suggestion.

Personally, I don't mind some signatures being lengthy, some people could write quite a novel about themselves down there. It helps to break up the giant blank space that's created from shorter messages because the person has all the stuff on the left-hand side (name, avatar, green dots, medallion, etc etc). I don't mind small thumbnail pictures either, so long as they're not animated. The only thing that bugs me is people listing the name, species, age, color for all of their 34 animals...just say you have a zoo and be done with it.

Contibutors are not above the rules, although to most on the outside (non-contributors) it seems to be that way as many times as its brought up. But I can say we don't get any special priveledges aside from our own section to post and read. The only neat thing we have is the ability to edit our posts, as Rich feels those who put the money where their mouth is are more honest about such things...and I'd have to say its a pretty good separating tool so far. But I for one am sick of hearing about how we're more speshul 'n stuff, when it clearly isn't so.

Just my $25.00/yr.