View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #24
JRLongton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Hmmmm....... interesting.

I wish you'd elaborate and share. I've not run across anything the Experts suggested that didn't work for any of my snakes. When I was raising a Boa, I bought a book about Boas. When I had the King Snake, I got a book on King Snakes, and now with the Corn Snake, well, I've already listed the 2 best books for corn snakes (above).

If there is something that "Does not work" we need to know.

Sure, let's take the issue of substrate. I was advised to get aspen. Personally I love shredded aspen, it's aesthetically pleasing, easy to spot clean, absorbs odors well, is easily obtained, and cheap. Problem is its often dusty and makes my corn "sneeze". I asked for advice on something else, was told eco-earth. Gave it a try, it drove the humidity in the terrarium up to 92%. Way to high. Took it out dried it and found it far more dusty than any brand of aspen I had ever bought. Was told cypress bark, tried it, humidity just as bad as Eco-earth. Now my corn's on paper towel. Humidity is good, but it looks pretty stark and bare and I'm looking to try something else.

I'm sure that shredded aspen works great for most corns, I'm sure that eco-earth is a great substrate for some people in some climates, and I'm sure that cypress bark is a god-send for some snake keepers. I had to experiment to find what works for me and my corn in my conditions. It's a practice.

I'm not saying "don't listen to experts". Their advice can point you in the right direction and save a lot of trouble. I'm thankful for all the help I've received, but advice needs to be coupled with rational judgement and observation. Had I just filled up the terrarium with eco-earth as suggested, and taken off on vacation, I'd have made a terrible mistake.

Can we get back to comforting the OP now?