View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #10
miara20
Repti bark

I just wanted to quickly say that reptibark is not a safe substrate for snakes or any snakes. I have a amelanystic corn and she ended up getting an upperrespitory infection about 6 months ago. I took her to the doctor and the vet told me that reptibark is dangerous for your snakes. Because of the dust on the wood chips. The dust can get into the snakes lungs and cause harm. I was doing everything right as far as keeping her cage up. Her temp was correct and the humidity was perfect. Since then I have gone with astro turf wich is the cheapest and easiest route I have found. You take it out once a week. Clean it, let it dry and put it back in. Its easier then the reptibark cause you dont have a big mess to worry about and also on that note the reptibark you cant see when your snake urinates or poops bacause it soaks into the bark. So they lay on that stuff and most corns like to burry themselves in it. I know mine did she had a blast digging in it. Anyway its very unsanitary. But thats just my opinion and the opinion of one vet. Just thought I'd share that peice of info. Astro turf is the best thing I've found to keep up with. you can buy two peices so you can switch them out with eachother and its so easy. I'll post some pics of my little one when i figure out how to do it lol. Im new here.