Thread: Crickets?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
ScottyK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo18 View Post
we are still trying the pinkies too and will stop the crickets as soon as he will eat a pinkie on a consistent basis.

What specifically is going on as far as it's willingness to take pinkies, and what do you mean by consistant?

I'm worried that the above statement is reversing the cause and effect. If your snake is eating crickets, that may be the actual reason it's not taking pinkies regularly. You really want to cut out the crix and get it onto straight pinks right away. Both from a nutritional standpoint, and because you want it to imprint on F/T commercial mice as early in life as possible.

Lyion- I'm sure that wild baby corns eat insects and arachnids of several species when young. Lizards are also grabbed, and lizard scenting is an often used trick for reluctant feeders. For captives I would stay away from insects for the reasons I mentioned above. Even taking the nutritional argument off of the table, captive snakes have an annoying habit of sometimes imprinting on a certain food. I'd rather just feed what will work for it's entire life...