View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by notserp View Post
That looks more like a ghost variation then type A anery.
That is one of the reasons I love this gene and it's many combinations so much! The variation that can be expressed is astounding! While I adore the light and colorful anerys that can be confused with ghosts, I don't care for the dark ghosts because I just don't see the reduction in melanin that one would expect with the hypo gene.

I know there are many dark hypos, but you can still see the bronzing of the belly checks. And yes, I know that even some normals don't have entirely black belly checks, but the look of a hypo belly check is just different enough that it can be recognized with some experience. However, I have more difficulty with the very dark ghosts. I will admit that I don't have much experience with the very dark ghosts (I've never had a dark ghost hatch out yet...knock wood) but the one I examined fairly closely, although briefly and in poorer light, did not show me the bronzed belly checks and I personally would have considered it a ghost at all unless I knew for a fact that it was produced by a pair of proven hypos. And even then, I would have my doubts!

To me, Chip's example is a good one of an anery that has lightened up with age that also shows the lack of yellow which, in the past, had been inaccurately used as a way to differentiate anerys and charcoals. Now I wonder if there is actually another gene involved that controlls the presence of the yellow neck or not. I purchased an amel from South Mountain last year strictly because it did not have any yellow, even on the neck, and I found that quite unusual in an amel and I had to have it.