View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
scmartin27
Time investment indeed...

It seems to me that if I had a WC x Snow, then bred those babies together to get an amel or snow, then bred THOSE amels/snows to a halo then we would find out. So yes, basically what you said - Dragonling.

I've already done a WCxSnow offspring (so a classic het snow from a WC parent) to a halo, though. And got half halos and half non-halos in the amel based offspring. I just didn't breed a potential homozygous one to her, just a heterozygous one (or assumed to be het, anyway).

The only Green blotched I have is female... so maybe I just need a snow male with no yellow to breed her to? Does WC *really* have to be involved here? (honestly looking for opinions on that)

I suppose I could breed the Green blotched to a normal from the WC x Snow pairing to see if all amel based offspring end up being halos. But that means only ~1/2 the offspring would "count" and I'd have to do twice as many trials to determine it. not to mention... the yellow is hard to see in the amels til they're literally adults. it's easier to see it in the snows when they're young because there's no other pigment to contend with. But with Amels that yellow can stay hidden for years.

So again I ask... does a WC *Really* need to be involved? If not, I'll find me a male snow with no yellow and try him out with my gb girl next season.