View Single Post
Old 04-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #39
Rich Z
I think some of you are missing the point of this. Perhaps an analogy will help understand what I am talking about.

Suppose you set up a party at your place and invite everyone in your neighborhood to stop by. Well the big night of the party comes around and you see a lot of people have stopped by and apparently enjoying themselves. But you notice a couple of the people asking some of your guests to come on over to their own party down the street that they decided to hold at the same time.

It has nothing to do with "competition" in the traditional sense of a business aspect at all. It has everything to do with rudeness and common courtesy. I think just about everyone else being in the position of the initial party host in the analogy mentioned above would feel the same thing about the rudeness of what those other people were doing at your party.

I'm sorry but I didn't set up this site for YOU to advertise your own website. There are ways that you can do that if you choose to do so, but if that is your only purpose for being here, then who is at fault here? Me for not allowing it, or you for your intentions? Do you think it is FAIR for someone to just drop in on this site, post a message asking people to leave here and come to their own site? Heck, I can understand people being excited about setting up their own website and wanting to show it off. But there are right ways and wrong ways to go about doing that. Unfortunately, too many new people getting their own first website really don't have a clue about proper etiquette (or what is commonly called "netiquette") in their enthusiasm to try to seek out visitors.

Sorry, but there is no short cut, and trying to find one by using the equivalent of SPAM on other message boards is not going to endear you to anyone's heart. What it takes to get exposure to your new site is time on the playing field, money to spend on advertising, or both. Those are the avenues I have had to use to get my sites where they are now, and I am sorry, but those are the avenues you will have to consider as well for your own sites. In all the years I have had websites, I cannot recall a single case where I went to someone else's site and posted "Hey, come on over to my website and take a look!".

Sorry if some of you may disagree with my request and the logic behind it, but that is just the way it is going to have to be.