View Single Post
Old 04-15-2005, 01:50 PM   #40
Menhir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I think some of you are missing the point of this. Perhaps an analogy will help understand what I am talking about.

Suppose you set up a party at your place and invite everyone in your neighborhood to stop by. Well the big night of the party comes around and you see a lot of people have stopped by and apparently enjoying themselves. But you notice a couple of the people asking some of your guests to come on over to their own party down the street that they decided to hold at the same time.
And, I hope you don't see this as an offense, I think thats I wrong analogy in your head.
What you describe IS TRUE for commercial sites, boards and other breeders sites. If you look at these sites, your analogy fits excactly the point.

But what about private, non commercial informational sites?
Therefore, I'd like to switch your analogy a little bit and perhaps you'll agree to me:

Rich starts his party and invites everyone to come. But, Rich has also a well known business and a high amount of people that come to his house, also stand positive towards his business. Thats excactly how "commercials" work. But theres nothing with it, cause people on the other hand get a nice party and have a great time, thats the deal I think.
But, there are some people, that like to bring some extra things to this party that can'T get into the house. One brings his new car, one brings his new dog and so on. So, people on your party will from now to then take some minutes to get out and be happy seing the dog or the car - but after that, they'll come in and go on partying.
The point is, that dog or car does neither damage your party, nor it does your business - no, it even makes your party better than it is "hey, remember Richs party - and do you remember Serps Dog? What a great time..."
(...hmmm, in the end, that story got a little childish, doesn't it?

For me, thats whats the big advantage of the internet, you can connect and link knowledge in a fast and easy to navigate way and I think it'll damage your board more, not to allow informational links for new stuff more than it does good for your board or your business.

Just to make that clear again and as I said, your home, your rules and I'll try to respect them as good as I can. These were just my thoughts and the experience I got with the net over the years. Thanx for your reply and that it's possible to discuss such points and trade points of view... I know other boards where rules are made without being even able to talk about them.

Greetings