Thread: Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
KatieL
Well, I'm not sure if this will help you, or not, but my mom and sisters all *hated* snakes the whole time I was growing up. After I got married and moved out Jeff and I got our first hatchling corn. Sienna turned out to be a big sweetheart, and never bolted or was even defensive at all. Well the first time my family "met" her, they loved her (much to my surprise). Turns out that a calm, pretty, little snake is a lot more lovable than the big scary mean one they were expecting. Now my [originally] most fearful sister asks to hold Sienna every time she comes to visit. Just be aware of their fears, and don't try to force anything on them...they were all more than willing to take the snake themselves after a few minutes of observing that she was well behaved with me. I don't know if this is true for all people, but my family was terrified of being bitten and once they realized that they weren't going to get bitten by Sienna they were okay with her. Also, I always get asked if she is venomous (or poisonous, ergh!) and most people are really surprised to find that she is not (do they think I am crazy?), and even more surprised to find out that she doesn't even have "fangs." Maybe try to find out exactly what it is about snakes that bothers your fiance and then work on putting those fears to rest.

Sorry this is so long winded, good luck!