View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 03:15 AM   #52
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegF. View Post
I'm sure it is illegal to shoot a drone or an Amazon drone but I guaran-darn-tee that some redneck in the woods will at some point shoot a drone showing up in his yard. Besides, it's Rich, not a business or government drone...just some guy spyin' on me! I can't imagine someone shooting down anything if it wasn't over their property....well, I can imagine it, but I wouldn't think about shooting something down over my neighbor's property....they can take care of their own stuff....however, you fly your little spy copter over my farm and I might just play trap shoot.....
It will still be private property being destroyed. And although I won't like drones flying over my property, I doubt I could make a convincing argument before a court that I had justification for shooting it down because I felt I had secrets that such a device would be spying upon that I needed to make every effort to keep secret.

I expect that sooner or later this issue will make some interesting court cases. Remember in most cases those things are recording video and in some cases there recording takes place at the controller and not at the drone. That there is known as "evidence" in court lingo. Someone flying a drone OVER your property to get to somewhere else probably won't be a viable reason for you to shoot it down. And some of these things have a range of a mile or better, so it might behoove you to check to see where your rights end and someone else's begins.

Sure would hate to hear of someone shooting down a drone that was owned by some pissed off person with a .50BMG rifle who could lob 850 grain projectiles a good 4 miles away if the trial doesn't go their way.