• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shedding cycle

anderson110

So my new corn's eyes grew cloudy 4-5 days ago, grew progressively cloudier until Saturday, then cleared up again. Today the eyes are very clear and the skin looks quite bright.

Does this mean we're close to shed time?

That sounds pretty solid actually. Being a fairly hardy species, they thrive in 40%-60% otherwise known as "normal humidity". Being a bump higher like that shouldn't hurt really (though it does increase chances for a respiratory infection if temps aren't properly maintained and the environment isn't kept clean), and will actually help during the shedding process. So you should hopefully look forward to and expect a fine healthy whole shed!

And today, there was a one piece shed, and a brilliant looking corn snake chilling.

Is there anything to coordinate between shedding/feeding/handling? Or is it business as usual?

Heh... You *think* you want a shed now until "first shed anxiety" kicks in and you start freaking out about humidity, comfort, if it's taking too long, if the eye caps will come off, if it's ok that it missed it's meal because of it, and the yearning to play with them increases because you really shouldn't.

Heh... You *think* you want a shed now until "first shed anxiety" kicks in and you start freaking out about humidity, comfort, if it's taking too long, if the eye caps will come off, if it's ok that it missed it's meal because of it, and the yearning to play with them increases because you really shouldn't.

But.... but... isn't there a 'first shed fairy' that takes care of all that ;) (jking).

I know I'll be anxious as heck, but it'll also mean he's growing up (like the fact he's up to 2 pinkies wasn't a proud moment for me). It's almost like part of the initiation for me: first snake, first shed. Not sure what else should be included in there... first time being pooped on? first bite? first escape? (do NOT want!!)

I appreciate that but I want a shed because, Its will tell be he is growing, my levels are good and that I have a relatively healthy snake correct?

Yeah. I was being fairly humorous in the noting of the anxiety. I love first sheds. In fact, I saved Isis's first shed with me (not her first shed since she's 4 years old) which I plan on finding some way to frame or display. A bit tricky since it's about 4.5' long but I'll think of something.

Yeah. I was being fairly humorous in the noting of the anxiety. I love first sheds. In fact, I saved Isis's first shed with me (not her first shed since she's 4 years old) which I plan on finding some way to frame or display. A bit tricky since it's about 4.5' long but I'll think of something.
I did catch your humor, I am sure this is not my snakes first shed or maybe it is, I'm guessing his age is 3-4 months.

Back