View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #28
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by SODERBERGD View Post
That's amazing. I SO need to get one, but only after I retire. Too much on my plate for that now. Thanks for sharing.
I don't think there is going to be any real penalty for waiting, Don. Technology is pushing these things to better and better quality and reliability almost on a daily basis. I know I will hold out for my next drone having 4K 60fps. 60 fps makes a substantial difference in the video from a moving platform. 30 fps is OK for relatively slow moving video, but it degrades quite a bit when the action, either from the camera's perspective, or the subject's, speeds up. This can be especially noticeable when foliage is in the image, because the image processing bogs down and just tries to smooth over the information it can't handle. So branches, leaves, and grass will wind up looking like green cotton candy in the image as the detail is lost.

DJI just came out with a new product they are calling the Mavic Air (I believe). But alas, it is still only 4K 30 fps. They do have the Phantom 4 Pro in 4K 60 fps, but more than I want to pay at this point. And DJI is still apparently plagued with fly-away problems from what I have been hearing on the net.

I'm hoping that Xiaomi will be coming out with a new model in the near future that really goes toe to toe with DJI.

One of the funniest things I read recently looking into these drones was someone in China complaining about their own Chinese competitors copying their designs and products and selling them cheaper than they were.

Karma is a bitch, ain't it?