CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

new corn won't leave corn

Old 08-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Chill92
new corn won't leave corn

I bought my corn 2 days ago and he has not left his hide. He is young and not used to being handled, pretty flighty. I've been trying to leave him alone for a few days, is this normal? His setup that he came with is pretty dirty so I wanted to take him out and clean his tank,hides,etc. and put down some fresh aspen. Will it freak him out if I take him out?

Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
I would definitely get him out of there to clean. But yes, it's typical behavior for a baby corn to hide most of the time. He may be coming out in the evening and you just haven't seen him.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Nanci
I would clean his viv completely, and then do this:

Old 08-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Chill92
Well when we came home from dinner he was put of his hide hanging around by the top of the tank. It was nice to see him out. Good thing we keep the screen top taped down.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
BSLMichael
Snakes are notorious escape artist. Tape won't be enough eventually. Be careful!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLMichael View Post
Snakes are notorious escape artist. Tape won't be enough eventually. Be careful!
I'm glad your little guy is out and about, and getting more used to his environment.

Michael is absolutely correct! I still (unfortunately) have two aquariums in use. I use Velcro strips wrapped completely around the tank to secure the screen top. Cheap, super easy, and very effective!

Kathy

Old 08-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Chill92
We'll be getting some straps today

Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
Sindrik8x
How many of you have experienced escapes with the clip lock lids like this? Just curious. The other day I got home to find Cruella had climbed her plant and got inbetween the lid and the molding edge and was circling the top. She's only three months and I did a check to make sure there was no weak area, I doubt she could get out but now you all have me worried lol.

Should I get some of the velcro strips then? Where do you all pick up strips that large?

Sorry for the hijack, just figured a good thread to ask in.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
Sindrik8x
Also, chill my snake tends to hide under her log quite a bit. Almost every time I go to get her during the day for a holding session she is either under there or under her rock.

She is more active around 6 or 7pm through the evening hours. So I guess it seems most of us have similar experiences with this. Cruella is roughly 13 weeks old.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
HVani
With a small snake I just don't trust the screen tops even with clips. All they have to do is get a nose/ head under the edge and they are out. A larger snake I don't worry about, just those tiny babies.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google