CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

View Poll Results: What will you do with the remains?
Creamation 1 2.38%
Burial 19 45.24%
Trash 11 26.19%
Freeze dry/Preserve 1 2.38%
Donate to science/or school 4 9.52%
Don't know never thought about it 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

What will/or do you do with a dead snake?

Old 11-23-2002, 05:20 PM   #11
Axe
What do you do with the mice that have been refused in a feed?

You don't refreeze 'em. You throw 'em away. Yeah, they're not pets to us, but they're pets to somebody.

Some might be breeders, that have MANY MANY animals, and don't have the yard space to bury them all - that doesn't mean they cared for the snake any less.

If it's a long-loved animal, that's a good few years old, sure, I wouldn't agree that would be a fitting end. But, if you've just had a dozen clutches hatched of 15-20 snakes each, and a few of 'em don't make it, what are you gonna do?

Old 11-23-2002, 11:35 PM   #12
Ken Harbart
The trash is generally the best option available to many people, especially those of us with moderate or large collections.

Depending on the type of snake and cause of death, I may sometimes just feed it to one of my monocles.

Old 11-24-2002, 01:09 AM   #13
bmm
I agree

There is nothing wrong with the trash. Sometimes people live in apartments, sometimes they can't or don't want to dig holes on their yard, sometimes people have a yard but dogs that would easily dig it up. I can see where it would be ridiculous to bury your snakes if you were a large breeder. That would be a lot of holes.

bmm

Old 11-24-2002, 07:44 AM   #14
Iris
This is slightly off topic but what do you do with any dead animals?
I was about 9 when my first bird died and we buried it outside but the next day I found that some animal had dug it up and eaten it.
I usually flush fish if they're small.
What about like...a rabbit? Or a cat/dog? What are you supposed to do?
Just curious

Old 11-24-2002, 10:15 AM   #15
whiffin
I think, with most larger pets, people bury them .... well, everyone that I know has done.

You can get pet cemetaries and have pet funerals too!

Old 11-24-2002, 12:43 PM   #16
Rhiannon
as well as snakes I have loads of rabbits and guinea pigs, when they die I just bury them in the garden.
I don't know what I would do if my snakes died, it wouldn't seem right to bury it.

Old 11-24-2002, 05:26 PM   #17
bmm
the

Biggest animal I have had die was a 80-90 pound golden retireiver (big boy!) who was hit by a car. He was my sisters dog so we didn't want him to just "go to the vet" and never come back. We dug a grave. A big grave.

Unfortunatly, regardless of the fat we dug in about 4 feet, and added 1-2 feet rocks on top, animals dug him up! Thats one reason I am leary of burying things now.

bmm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google