CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Escapee caught

Old 11-21-2003, 12:50 PM   #1
rspier
Escapee caught

About 3 weeks ago my hatchling bloodred male escaped through a small crack in my newly built snake rack. After searching for about 3 hours we gave up and thought he had gotten out of the house. A couple of days ago we found a fresh shed in my bedroom, about 20 feet away from the rack. I looked on the thread about missing snakes and got the idea for the 2 liter bottle trap and the tape trap. Well this morning the tape along the wall next to the rack had "opie" trapped. After removing him as gently as possible I put him back in his cage and he ate shortly therafter. Much thanks for the Ideas.

Old 11-21-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
CornDude
Talking great to hear about gettin him back

ooo can u link me to that method u used? (where it was posted)

Old 11-21-2003, 05:08 PM   #3
rspier
I cant remember where I saw the picture of the trap with a snake caught, but I just used some two inch masking tape looped sticky side out pressed down on the floor up against the baseboards.

Old 11-22-2003, 09:34 AM   #4
Alex Dew
Congratulations Rspier

Alex

Old 11-22-2003, 02:09 PM   #5
Skye
great news rspier - congratulations!

we caught a missing one after 40 days AWOL and he was only a couple of feet from where he had escaped originally. The surprising thing was - he had grown at least as well as his siblings that hadn't escaped.

Skye

Old 11-22-2003, 05:38 PM   #6
Chip
for what it's worth

Don Soderberg's website has photos of them in use, that I attached to the mentioned thread, but it's pretty simple. Cut the top off of a two liter bottle (or a 20 oz. for a hatchling), insert shavings from your dirtiest mouse cage (or if you don't keep mice; any pet store will give you some, and a funny look) invert the top, tape it in place, and put along a wall. The snake will often crawl in looking for food, and make its self comfortable. I use blue painters' tape for tape traps, duct tape is horribly sticky; I almost lost one I accidentally caught that way... masking tape too, is pretty darn adhesive.

Remember to put water bowls out along the wall edges to keep the escapee hydrated until capture. BTW, I've caught a lot more using the tape method than anything else. I've caught two in the bottle traps, and none using a cone trap I purchased at a show. I had 5 escapees this year, after only having one last year. I used a rack I bought from someone I trusted, and it wasn't as tight as it looked! But only two are still "at large," and I still have hope.

I had most of a clutch escape from the incubator a few years back (i think 15 ), found all but two alive within a week.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google