• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression thread: Cleo the Butter Motley

yeah I've actually been trying to figure out what percentage of "Feed Weight" actually stays with the snake. It's hard to track because you have to weigh the snake before each feed, weigh the snake's food item, and then weigh the snake again after the poop. But there is a measurable increase in each feeding but it seems to diminish slightly the bigger Rufus gets. Which would explain the fact they grow faster as babies and slow down as they get bigger. But best I can tell, as of right now, Rufus is gaining about 4 grams per week, and since he is currently eating 18 to 21 gram mice that means he's retaining about 20% of his feed.

Lol, right now Cleo is gaining four to 5 grams a month and she's only slightly larger than Rufus's prey!

yup. That's typical.

When I first got Rufus about 9 months ago, he was retaining about 40% of his feed. Now he's at about 19 or 20%. He's still growing but he's definitely slowed down. I expect this trend to continue and at some point his growth will be negligible and more of a maintenance issue.

But it's still cool and fun to watch the babies grow while you can. It's kind of like putting a pencil mark on the wall and measuring your child month to month.

LOL....... My "Baby" is growing up.

yup. That's typical.

When I first got Rufus about 9 months ago, he was retaining about 40% of his feed. Now he's at about 19 or 20%. He's still growing but he's definitely slowed down. I expect this trend to continue and at some point his growth will be negligible and more of a maintenance issue.

But it's still cool and fun to watch the babies grow while you can. It's kind of like putting a pencil mark on the wall and measuring your child month to month.

LOL....... My "Baby" is growing up.

I hear you. God willing I'm going to have her as an adult a lot longer than as a baby. I don't know what that's like yet! Rufus definitely is looking a whole lot more grown up.

:laugh01:

We are like a bunch of doting parents, aren't we though? And every little snakey moment captured in pictures as well, lol.

I'm pretty sure I stopped doing my son's baby book within a few weeks - but Atlas' record keeping has gone on for nearly a year!

But I can say with absolute certainty there are more pictures of kiddo than Atlas!

G

I'm pretty sure I stopped doing my son's baby book within a few weeks - but Atlas' record keeping has gone on for nearly a year!

But I can say with absolute certainty there are more pictures of kiddo than Atlas!

Only 'cause we have to take breaks for digesting and shedding ;)

Mellow yellow

I took out my "real" camera, which is still a point and shoot, and took a few shots of Cleo today. This is five days post shed. What really shows up for me is the yellow coming out on her sides in her front third. There is also some pink on her head, but it is a bit more subtle in person.

She was really on the move in the first pic and I love it for that reason. It captures that action. The second has better focus and of course more detail. The last was with flash. I prefer not to flash her and I goofed, but it sure brings out the detail of her face.

RDrDuGJl.jpg

iRpSs8Al.jpg

G4v6Oh3l.jpg

She is so gorgeous! Is it just me or does she look much more yellow than before

Nicole

Thank you. She is more yellow, especially on her sides. That's where more yellow has magically appeared.

wow, that bottom pic really shows her yellow. She's adorable.

Thank you. I love her so much. In truth, the flash exaggerated her yellow. The other pics are more true to color. But that color does portend things to come. They don't call them butters for nothing :D

Wrong way Cornigan eats first fuzzy

X3kPVfdl.jpg

I went into my big bag o fuzzies and picked a furry one with a pretty long tail. I was thinking the peachy fur or the longer, firmer tail might induce Cleo to swallow head first. I was thinking wrong.

Cleo weighs 29 grams. So she has doubled her weight in just short of 3 months.

Her last pinky was 4.6 grams and her first fuzzy was 4.1 grams. It was no real challenge. This mouse was history, even backwards.

I had to laugh also! :roflmao:Sorry ... Butt (pun intended) I'm wondering if you give it to her or does she pick her 'end' (sorry again!) by herself? I use feeding tongs (large non-locking forceps) and offer Loopy his meal head first. Seems to work for the most part.

I had to laugh also! :roflmao:Sorry ... Butt (pun intended) I'm wondering if you give it to her or does she pick her 'end' (sorry again!) by herself? I use feeding tongs (large non-locking forceps) and offer Loopy his meal head first. Seems to work for the most part.

I always feed with tongs. She won't strike and she won't take it from the tongs. I've tried wiggling, zombie dancing, etc.

I lay it down in front of her with the nose pointed at her. She goes right up to it, looks it over, and proceeds to the butt end. I have so many feeding notes "ate readily, butt first". Maybe I've seen her eat head first twice.

Whatever works. :D

Back