CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Beautiful Tennessee Grey Rat Snake

Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Karl_Mcknight
Beautiful Tennessee Grey Rat Snake

A friend of mine caught this snake today in her driveway sunning himself. She picked him up with a stick, took him over to some bushes and released him. Good for her.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
DollysMom
Beautiful, Karl!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Dragonling
Looks like he's eating well.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Twolunger
There are some exceptional grey rats found in the Florida Panhandle. I've never seen one in southwest Florida, but I'm still looking.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Looks like he's eating well.
Yes! I said the same thing. It was a beautiful animal. No Trauma observable, estimated close to 6 feet long, well muscled and thick. It was probably the best looking rat snake I've seen in a long time. And it was remarkably docile, no striking, didn't try to slither away.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
There are some exceptional grey rats found in the Florida Panhandle. I've never seen one in southwest Florida, but I'm still looking.
I'm certainly no expert on Florida snakes, but I hear there are some really nice Yellow Rat snakes there. The grey rat snakes tend to live farther north. We have a lot of them here in Tennessee.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #7
Twolunger
I've found yellow rat snakes here. I found one of the most beautiful yellow rats about a year ago. It was brighter yellow than most I've seen. I also found a young one about two feet long that was a pretty golden color. I've found several corn snakes and love to see them in the wild.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #8
Nanci
We get yellow rats here a LOT. They are the ones who like to visit people in their homes! And I've seen a few grey rats. They call them oak snakes. Virtually always super tame.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
Twolunger
I was watching the antics of little fish in the canal behind my house and saw a snake swimming underwater. It was 18 inches long, pale yellow, almost white, with brownish stripes down its back. It saw me and took off underwater and I never saw it pop up again.
I know we have banded water snakes here, and I've seen several snakes swimming on the surface of the water, but not underwater for an extended period. Still trying to figure out what it was. I don't think it will last long with the alligators cruising along the canal all day.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #10
Karl_Mcknight
it could have been some type of garter snake. They typically have stripes running down their backs and they've been known to go after fish.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google