CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Ingesting aspen...again

Old 11-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
angelcornsnake
Ingesting aspen...again

Hello, I haven't been here for a few weeks because Daisy has been doing great for whoever remembers my introduction .

She's 5.5 months old, she'd twice in since I got her, she's been feeding weekly without problems. She's lovely to handle too.

I've been feeding her in her enclosure as instructed by the breeder and because i feel it's mimicking snakes feeding in the wild plus I avoid disturbing her after feeding.
I put kitchen towel down and most times she'll eat on it but twice now she dragged the pinky in away and took in Aspen too. The first time I took two pieces out if her mouth with the tongs. I think I scared the hell out of her but she continued feeding. The second time, tonight, I wasn't quick enough and by the time I saw it it was too late. It was a hard piece of spiky aspen.

Now I'm worried again. I've read other threads but they're old and I didn't want to revive them. Your thoughts of reassurance would be much apreciated. From now on I'll put more kitchen towel but is she ok now? How bad really is aspen when ingested by a baby snake?

Thank you in advance

Daisy June 17, a butter motley corn snake

Old 11-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
She will "Probably be ok." But there have been cases of Impaction and difficulty due to swallowing foreign substances.

I don't use aspen myself, partly for that reason, plus I feed in a separate container with a Paper towel lining.

I have not personally had a snake to swallow aspen, but here are some references you might want to read about it:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2165707AAL6KqN
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111995
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ing-aspen.html

Old 11-20-2017, 02:13 AM   #3
Twolunger
As long as she is defecating she will be okay. If you only have one or two corns the easiest way to feed them is with tongs. But don't drop the pinkie into the aspen. Hold it up until the corn starts to swallow it. When they get to the tail you can release it. Other than that, if you want to drop the pinkie inside make sure it's completely dry, so there is less chance of aspen sticking to it. I have used Tupperware containers with a hole cut into the side and prey placed inside. The corns quickly discover the pinkie and usually swallow it casually.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
She will "Probably be ok." But there have been cases of Impaction and difficulty due to swallowing foreign substances.

I don't use aspen myself, partly for that reason, plus I feed in a separate container with a Paper towel lining.

I have not personally had a snake to swallow aspen, but here are some references you might want to read about it:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2165707AAL6KqN
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111995
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ing-aspen.html
Thank you. I will keep an eye. Not much else I can do at the moment :/

Old 11-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
As long as she is defecating she will be okay. If you only have one or two corns the easiest way to feed them is with tongs. But don't drop the pinkie into the aspen. Hold it up until the corn starts to swallow it. When they get to the tail you can release it. Other than that, if you want to drop the pinkie inside make sure it's completely dry, so there is less chance of aspen sticking to it. I have used Tupperware containers with a hole cut into the side and prey placed inside. The corns quickly discover the pinkie and usually swallow it casually.
Hello, thanks. I feed with tongs. But sometimes she drags the pinky into the hide to eat it so she moves away from the kitchen towel. The pinky is dry so I have no idea how she manages to eat aspen every time!! She likes to strike at it while I hold the tongs you see. She won t start swallowing until she's got it.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Nanci
Why don't you just feed her in a deli cup or whatever, and not have to worry about it? I've raised hundreds of hatchlings, all fed in delis, and none of them have been emotionally scarred by that.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
daddio207
Corn snakes have a pretty good digestive system. It dissolves bone, teeth, etc so a bit of aspen is usually no problem.
I agree with Nanci that feeding in a deli or shoe box is a good solution. All my hatchlings stayed in deli's then moved up to shoeboxes. I used only paper until they were big enough for the juvi and sub-adult rack where they would be placed on aspen.
Since we want the best chance of survival for our snakes we avoid mimicking most scenario's that happen in the wild. Your hatchling doesn't need that "wild" feeling when feeding.
Done cautiously, moving a hatchling back from the deli/shoebox will not be traumatic...

Old 11-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
Twolunger
You have a lot of good options now, and I've used them all in the past. I have even read that some people put a towel on their lap and feed their corn there. I've even held a hatchling in my hand and have it strike and eat a pinkie I offered. Let us know what you have decided for future feedings and how she is doing.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Why don't you just feed her in a deli cup or whatever, and not have to worry about it? I've raised hundreds of hatchlings, all fed in delis, and none of them have been emotionally scarred by that.
Thank you. I don't mind feeding in a deli cup and I have actually got a second small tank for when I clean out her vivarium. It's just that I'm worried about moving her back to the viv after she's eaten. And also I am not sure where I'd feed hrr when she grows up. She wouldn't fit in a deli cup soon! What about when she's 1.5m long!?

Old 11-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio207 View Post
Corn snakes have a pretty good digestive system. It dissolves bone, teeth, etc so a bit of aspen is usually no problem.
I agree with Nanci that feeding in a deli or shoe box is a good solution. All my hatchlings stayed in deli's then moved up to shoeboxes. I used only paper until they were big enough for the juvi and sub-adult rack where they would be placed on aspen.
Since we want the best chance of survival for our snakes we avoid mimicking most scenario's that happen in the wild. Your hatchling doesn't need that "wild" feeling when feeding.
Done cautiously, moving a hatchling back from the deli/shoebox will not be traumatic...
Hi, thank you. I want to try feeding outside the vivarium. Everyone says tgat it's ok to move them back afterwards but what about when she grows big? Where would I feed her then?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google